We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trips around Tuscany

Which Massa Marittima hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
10 posts
Save Topic
day trips around Tuscany

My family and I are looking at doing day trips from Castelina in late September (We will have a car)

- Siena and Monteriggioni. Montepulciano Pienza and Montalcino. I was contemplating a day in San Gimignano and Volterra, but wonder if I should try Arezzo or Cortona instead.

I want to take photos, as I am an artist looking for inspiration in the Italian countryside.

Volterra, Italy
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trips around Tuscany

Hi Guedo,

Good to see fellow citizens visiting Tuscany. Don't miss Volterra, such wonderful views of the unspoilt Tuscan countryside.

Happy touring!

Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trips around Tuscany

quedo, having been to both Arezzo and Cortona - my personal cnoice would be Cortona.

Auckland
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: day trips around Tuscany

Thanks for the advice.

I cant wait to see the countryside and exerience the Italian culture.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
592 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trips around Tuscany

Hi, I'm a painter and photographer who just returned from a trip in Tuscany. I got so many fabulous shots! It is very hilly in Chianti, and the hillsides are covered with grape vines and olive trees north of Siena, and just south of there begin the rolling hills covered in wheat and poppies. The architecture everyhere is incredible, so you won't have to look far for a great shot!I was located just outside of Vagliagli and was able to take day trips to many beautiful places. The surprise town that I almost passed up was Pienza. Glad I didn't because it was gorgeous. It's near Montalcino which is also lovely. All of the small towns near Castellina are equally as beautiful! Radda, Greve, Panzano...

Have a great time!

Click.....inspiration!

The Happy Traveler

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
592 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trips around Tuscany

PS..I would skip Monteriggioni. We were a bit disappointed. Cute little fortress, but nothing to photograph really. I don't think anyone actually even lives there. Just a small town square with one restaurant and a few gift shops. We ate lunch there one day on our way somewhere else. Just a suggestion so you can spend your time better maybe elsewhere. And Siena is quite a big city by the way. Park over by the stadium for sure!

Auckland
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day trips around Tuscany

Happy Traveller, thanks for you thoughts. I know a lot of people love Tuscany, but I must say that an artist looks at things from a different perspective, so thanks and I think I will skip Monteriggioni. I was going to do a good day trip to Montepulciano, Pienza and Montalcino. Of course the family will get sick of having to stop for the photographic moments, but they know what the are up against on this trip anyway.

Thanks again

7. Re: day trips around Tuscany

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, September 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Massa Marittima