We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vineyards

Ottawa
11 posts
Save Topic
Vineyards

Hi - I've been looking through the Sicily fora but not found my specific question answered,although there have been some discussion related. This will be my second trip to Sicily :) and my interests are art, architecture, horticulture, food. For this trip, I'll be based in Modica, but dependent on bus or train. What vineyard options are best in those circumstances? Also, just out of curiosity, wondering what would be suggested options for other places to visit, keeping in mind bus/trains.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vineyards

Ciao gimpycat!

I have been racking my brain all day to try and offer the exact answer you are looking for... but I cannot come up with a vineyard near to Modica relying only on bus or train to get there. I think you will have to factor a third means to get to a vineyard.

Ideally, I'm guessing you would like a winery that offers a bit of a tour and tastings (you gotta have a drinkypoos!)

Here are the two closest vineyards that offer tasting/tours to bus stops or train stations and within easy reach of Modica I can think of:

Riofavara: It's a stones throw outside Ispica heading east south east. You can get a bus from Modica to Ispica. Once there you could pre-arrange a taxi. It's probably only about a 20 minute walk but the route is unpaved along some main roads so I don't know how advisable it would be to walk there (perhaps someone else can help here). I've only ever gone there by car.

The winery's website: http://www.riofavara.it/en

I'm sure if you contacted them they could advise the best way there without a car. Do contact before going anyway to make sure it is fine for you to visit.

It's actually one of my favourites. They are very small producing around 6,000 cases a year. Family run, hands on production, minimum intervention and organic. They are quintessentially Sicilian and the wines truly represent the land of Sicily, eliciting vivacious, minerally whites from the rocky limestone and marl terrain and some stonking reds too.

Antica Azienda Agraria Curto: Again it's a stones throw outside Ispica heading north east towards Rosolini about 3km along the 115 on the left marked by two stone columns. You can get a bus from Modica to Ispica. Once there again you could pre-arrange a taxi or pretty sure a bus goes on from Ispica to Rosolini so you might be able to smile really nicely at the driver to get him to drop you outside (again, perhaps someone could advise if this is achievable?...)

Their website: http://www.curto.it/english/Farm.htm visits by appointment only. Very welcoming, stunning wines and very Sicilian. Highly recommend visiting here.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Viti Vini Vici ... :-D

Edited: 6:02 pm, April 15, 2013
Ottawa
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vineyards

Thank you for the reply, cicegim! Very helpful. I had started thinking about a bus/taxi combination as a possibility, but good to have some leads on specific places.

I'm really looking forward to this trip! :)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vineyards

Welcome to Sicily gimpycat!

There are many vineyards in Southeastern Sicily - Planeta’s wineries at Cantina di Dorilli in Vittoria (RG) or Cantina di Buonivini in Noto (SR), Azienda Agricola COS or Valle dell’Acate in Acate, Azienda Vitivinicola Avide in Comiso, Riofavara or i Antica Azienda Agraria Curto in Ispica, Feudo Maccari in Noto....

But vineyards are located in the countryside and require a car or driver.

Best wishes!

Vagabonda

Ottawa
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vineyards

Grazie, Vagabonda! I was looking at bus schedules, and they seem to still have the winter schedule up. Any idea when the schedules turn over to summer? I'm arriving in Sicily on May 10.

London, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vineyards

Pleasure Gimpycat,

sorry, I don't know dates as to when bus timetables change from winter to summer, so I can't help on this one I'm afraid.

Hope you have a great time at the vineyards you decide to go to. Let us know how you get on getting to the vineyards on public transport/taxi combo, the vineyards you go to and your wine highlights :-D

I wish I was going! Is there room for one more in your suitcase?(!)

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,207 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vineyards

You’ll arrive in the midst of the schedule changes – Bus companies are all local and seasonal changes occur between now and the end of May.

Vagabonda

Ottawa
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vineyards

Thank you for the responses! I'll keep an eye out for the new schedules and see what I can figure out for getting from a town to a vineyard (taxi seems like an option).

Looking forward to some great food and wine :) (among other things)

modica
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vineyards

Round Modica you will still be on winter schedule - here the summer schedule comes in when the schools break up for summer in early June - at least it used to be like that. Who knows what this year will bring. However, Id assume you are still on the winter schedule - the summer is vritually identical except that teh 'school run' buses disappear and there are more services to the beach.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
105,207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vineyards

Prego gimpycat,

It’s different bus company to bus company with the seasonal schedule updates, but early May is more likely the winter timetable. But as modicasa says, who know this year!

Taxis are not common (especially around Modica) and taxis are pricey, so perhaps prearrange transfers.

Taxis between Modica and environs:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g616190-i11083-k55…

Enjoy the very delicious food and wines!

Vagabonda

Ottawa
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vineyards

Grazie mille! Will look it over -- a local tour guide seems like a possibility, as we could maximize our time and maybe hit a couple of vineyards. :) I have no idea how much that would cost. I assume that the contacts in that other thread (the names with phone numbers) are still good for Modica?

Thank you again all for your assistance!