We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

Which Malia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

“Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

yesterday, 20:56

dehfffurfgu, 4 forum posts

This is a very long shot, but we have fallen into the trap of booking our flights to Crete with Ryaniar, who fly to Chania, instead of Heraklion which is half an hour away from our resort. The lowest taxi fee we have managed to be quoted is 170 euros each way. There are two of us, and if another couple, or two people was travelling at the same time as us we may actually be able to afford it!

So this is a very long shot, but our flight to Chania airport is FR7608 which arrives on the 26th June at 13.55, and our return flight ( FR7609 ) leaves at 21.00 a week later, on the 3rd of July.

Our hotel is in Stalis, in between Hersonissos and Malia.

If by any chance anyone would want to share a taxi please let me know, because its looking like we're going to have to pay to change hotels.

Would be an absolute miracle if anyone is on the same flight and sees this but can't hurt to ask.

George

(Posted this in Chania forum also, unable to hire a car as age is 21 in Crete to rent a car and i am 18)

Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Agios Nikolaos, Elounda, Crete
Level Contributor
10,816 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

HI there

Unless you can change your arrival airport, ( I am assuming you booked with On the Beach) which you may be able to do at a lesser cost than using a taxi, I would suggest that you catch the bus, yes its going to a long journey, but the buses in Crete are excellent, air con coaches really and very reliable, especially since your departure is 21.00, you can then take all day to return to the airport.....sorry cant be any more help

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
779 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

Catch the bus! Chania to Heraklion takes about two and a half hours and will cost about 14 euros per person.

Have a look at Ktel Chania closer to when you travel for summer schedules.

Yorkshire Dales
Level Contributor
5,856 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

dehfffurfgu.......... Please take the advice offered and go by bus.

These are dependable, fancy, comfortable, air conditioned coaches and will save you a fortune ( compared to a taxi)...... AND they have lots of room underneath for luggage.

I am so sorry that you fallen into this trap but all is not lost.

BTW I LOVE coach trips in Crete because they are so comfortable, cheap and fast! :O) :O0

Edited: 10:30 am, January 13, 2014
Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. If you can change hotels without too much fuss or cost, there is plenty to see in and around Chania. Agia Marina and Platanias west of the city are the most lively resorts, probably not too dissimilar from Stalis in terms of things going on.

If you can't change hotels, then yes, get the bus. Your times are quite 'friendly', and you should be able to do it easily enough. Here are the links you will need when the time comes - they are currently showing winter timetables but will update:

Airport-Chania:

bus-service-crete-ktel.com/timetabledet.php…

Chania - Heraklion, bottom one on this page:

Heraklion - Stalis, get the Malia bus:

There will be a lot more Malia buses in season, and the Chania airport buses fit in the arrivals.

If you say where you are staying, preferably on the Stalis thread, npj will almost certainly be able to tell you which bus stop to get off at, and give you directions.

Edited: 11:08 am, January 13, 2014
Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

Hi George

If you are unable to change either your arrival airport to Heraklion or your accom to closer to Chania (how many more people are going to get caught by On The Beach by this very sly practice of flying people into Chania and staying east of Herakion!), then the bus option is the most cost effective and best choice for your airport transfer. A long bus journey, with a change at Heraklion bus station, but your flying times lend themselves comfortably for this.

As Steve says above, what is your accom in Stalis. I may be able to point you in the right direction from the nearest bus stop in Stalis to your chosen accom.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,462 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

thanks npj, I wasn't sure if you looked at the Malia forum!

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

I look at a lot of the forums Steve, primarily all the Crete & Greece ones as well as the Air Travel forum. I tend to get out and about whilst staying in Stalis. I always look for new places to go to as well as frequenting some old haunts I've been to before.

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

Wow thank you everyone for your help and advice. We have been offered a free hotel change by hotels4u, however the accomodation is the Blue Sea Village Resort, and maybe it would be worth getting a transfer or taxi to the bus stop which goes to Heraklion then :)

Really appreciated everyone, thank you

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

The nearest bus stop is right outside the entrance to the Blue Sea Resort!

It is bus stop no. 27 and the stop is actually called "Blue Sea".

Yeovil, United...
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Sharing TAXI from CHANIA airport to HERAKLION side of Crete

Just to clarify and be more specific - the bus stop (no. 27) from Heraklion is across the other side of the main road from the Blue Sea. The bus stop (no. 27) for the return journey back to Heraklion is right outside the entrance to the Blue Sea.

The Blue Sea Resort is on the left as you come down to Stalis along the main road from Heraklion.

Get answers to your questions about Malia