We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

excursion prices from malia.

wigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
excursion prices from malia.

hi just booked a last min holiday for 2 weeks in july to the yiannos manos apartments for me, hubby and an 19 and a 15 year old. never been crete before and want to tire them out during the day as i dont want them on the main strip at night as it does not sound to good from reports i have read.

does anyone know what excursions are available and a rough price guide.

i have found the 3 waterpark sites and guess they will both spend quite a bit of time in them.

this holiday has been booked with them in mind so any trips that are suitable for them would be appreciated.

sligo
Level Contributor
660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: excursion prices from malia.

Hi Smithy,

Cannot help you on prices but 3 trips that should both entertain and tire all out would be Spinalonga, Samaria and Imbros.

The day trips for Spinalonga pick you up at either your rooms or a designated spot nearby, as your destination is close the bus will take you to a village in the hills on the way and stop for 20/30 minutes or give you walkabout time in Agia Nickalaus. You have a boat trip to the Island, usually you get to spend a little over an hour here and then the boat brings you to a nearby beach for a barbecue and a swim, before the return journey begins. Different tour companies offer different schedules and routes, you should be able to shop around.

The Samaria Gorge is a pretty exhausting day from Malia, pick up at around 5am/6am and return at around 11pm.

But if you are up for it it is well worth the trip.

A less daunting full day would be the Imbros Gorge, most tours stop over at Fangokastello on the return journey.

I know you can also hire out bicycles, but if you do so it would probably be best to stay along the old coast roads. The New National Road is very busy and if you do venture into the hills beware that you begin with a very steep climb and the descent can be a bit hairy. I cycled up and down to Mohos from Stalis a few years back and do not think I took my hands off the brakes once on the way down.

You might also consider hiring a car, if you shop around you should get a good deal, remember also to check out tour and car hire prices in Stalis, it is just a hop, skip and a jump down the road from where your are.

Enjoy

Bobo

sligo
Level Contributor
660 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: excursion prices from malia.

Hi again Smithy,

I forgot I had this bookmark:

http://www.rethymnoatcrete.com/tours.htm

While I know it is in the wrong part of the island for you it should give you some idea of prices and the tours. Bear in mind Rethymnon is more reasonably priced, you are in bit more of a tourist target area and also a longer distance from a lot of the places on offer I would expect you could possibly add on between 10 and 20 percent, just a guess.

Regards

Bobo

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: excursion prices from malia.

Hi there

Two of the waterparks are within easy reach of Malia but Limnopoulis is way over the other side of the island, south of Chania.

Another good trip is to head up to the Lassithi plateau where life mainly continues to go on as it always has. It sits 3000 feet up in the mountains, and is roughly circular with a huge network of small fields, all of which can be accessed via public pathways. The peripheral road has around a dozen small villages and you can walk for hours up there.

Bear in mind that Malia has a superb beach so your teenagers will no doubt want to swim and lie on the beach and it's surprising how "tiring" that can be. July will be HOT, HOT, HOT so to be honest, you'll all be worn out come nightime.

wigan
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: excursion prices from malia.

thankyou for your advice. i am sure they will enjoy it. im tired out just thinking about the whole trip lol.

5. Re: excursion prices from malia.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:48 am, December 08, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Malia