We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

I really need some advice. My son and his mates ( 17 -19) want to go on a 2 week self-catering in Aug 2008. They were looking at Malia and I have read so many comments about the yob culture of the place, it has really worried me. I see people recommending Stalias or Agios Nikolaos.

It seems to be the done thing for groups of young men to go on these breaks now. However, where would be a nicer place to go- e.g. lots less yobs but good fun.

Really appreciate any advice anyone can give. Cheers

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Hi. I stayed in Stalis for 2 weeks SC in August 2007 with my friend, im 21 and my friend is 23. We had a great time when we went into Malia, which is a 5 minute taxi ride from Stalis. We decided that staying there would give us a choice of relaxing or partying when we wanted.

Before I went I read so many stories and bad coverage about the place, but when I was there I can honestly say I didn't see ANY trouble and everyone was just having a great time! The police have really tried to clamp down hard on trouble makers and I found I saw more fights and trouble in the UK than out there! Of course in any party resorts you get complete idiots but that has to be expected to a certain extent. As long as they don't look for trouble or upset people they will be fine. I have heard that some people have had a few problems but Malia is definitely not as bad as what some reports say.

They could stay in Stalis and taxi in but if they want a 'hardcore' lads holiday then I am not sure this would be suitable. Stalis is a very couple and family orientated resort and at a cost of 8 euros each way it may cost them to travel into Malia and back each night if they are on a tight budget. I would definitely not recommend Agios Nikolaos for them because it definitely wont be their scene (having visited there) and it took about 45mins or more to get there on the coach. They would feel trapped and penniless if they stayed there!

I know as a parent you worry but Malia is up and coming and to me doesn't have the reputation of other resorts. They are obviously after sun, sea, drinks and clubs, therefore any place with this mix is going to have its reputation and certain problems for some people.

I advise that you dont listen to everything that is said and the only way to find out is to let them go and experience it for themselves! I assure you they'd have a great time like me! Hope this helps :-)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Dear Southampton Lass

What a helpful and thoughtful response. The boys want to have a really fun time and since I posted, the boys (about 9 in total) have persuaded some of the girls in the group to go- about 5- so I think I am more relaxed about it now.

However, your advice has been most helpful. Thanks

notts
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

As a 23 year old girl, i can stay that me and my friend have been to Malia the last two years and havent seen any trouble. We feel completely safe. I would reccomment the Maria Rousse Apartments, very clean have good night security and wont allow any trouble but it is a brilliant hotel.

Hope this helps and try not to worry, i wouldnt reccomend the quad bikes tho, have seen many accidents or people sporting injurys from them!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Hi there

I think that the trouble that has dogged Malia over the years has always been as a result of a small minority - the vast majority go for a good time and to enjoy themselves. It IS the club 18-30 capital of the island and caters for everything British - the streets are full of British supermarkets, British pubs and bars and takeaways, but that's what the average visitor to the resort wants I suppose so the local businesses cater for it.

Malia does have a good beach and it is centrally located if your son and his pals feel like doing some sightseeing. Hersonissos might be worth looking at too - it's very lively not quite so "18-30" as Malia but still has loads of clubs, bars and discos.

Crete, Greece
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Hi

I would have no hesitation in recommending Malia for your son and his friends. It is a great place, with lots to do for people of his age. My wife and I have been holidaying in Crete for the past 12 years and have stayed in Malia for 10 of them. For the past 5 years we have visited twice a year and will continue to do so for as long as we can. We are trying to buy a holiday place of our own out there but unfortunately the goalposts keep moving with property prices rising steeply. The rise in property prices will give you an idea of Malia's popularity as you will pay two or three times what you would pay in other areas. Our son who is 22 now still likes to come with us and does his own thing when he gets there (clubbing till the early hours of the morning). He has never encountered any trouble in about 10 visits. August is usually a very hot month with very little likelyhood of rain. Your son is much more likely to meet with people of his age group in August. No matter where you go in the "civilised" world you will find troublemakers but, as your other correspondent says, you are likely to find more in Edinburgh or Bsath (where we live) that you will in Malia. The police are extremely friendly but are very much no-nonsense-hands-on types. If the boys behave themselves they are liable to get more help than hassle from everybody around, including the police. The only troublemakers to be found on Crete are the typical British football yobs who think that drinking till they are paralytic is a macho thing to do but you will get that anywhere, such is the nature of the beast ! Thankfully they are a minority and will be less so now that we are all out of Euro 2008. If your son and his friends know how to avoid trouble in Edinburgh they will have no difficulty in avoiding it Malia. If they do decide to go to there I would recommend Durty Nelly's (just 20 yds off Malia main road on the way to Krassi) as an eating-hole where they will get good quality, substantial food at very reasonable prices

There is also a good place to go to in Hersonosis, sometimes spelt Chersonisis, (just a short - 4 miles - municipal bus ride from Malia). It is called Star Beach and is very popular with the younger generation of all nationalities. It is predominately watersports but has an open-air disco by the swimming pools, lots of stalls, current day UK newspapers, internet cafe, go-karts, body catapults, crazy golf etc.

I would recommend they look for a place to stay in old Malia which is the quieter part of the town but is a fair hike to the beach. About a mile from Apartments like San Giorgio and Kristalli (Thompsons brochure) It is a very pleasant walk however with plenty to see and do along the way.

I hope this puts your mind at rest and if your sons goes to Crete that he will enjoy it just half as much as we have always done

Watford,
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

I went to Malia 2 years ago and still have a scar above my eye to show for it! it is dangerous as anything! I went with 17 friends and on the first day a lad staying in our apartment building was stabbed by a local. I got run over in a hit and run incident, beaten up by a security guard for accidentaly bumping into him and attacked by a group of locals at the penalty shootout booth half way down the strip.

There is a heavy police presence in the town centre but as soon as they realise you're english they cease to care about your safety. A man had his camera snatched out of his hands right in front of police officers and they didnt even take a statement from him. and this was just what I saw in a week!

The worst thing is my little brother is 17 and is going this summer, as is my 17 year old girlfriend. My brother didnt take my advice and my girlfriend thinks that its a lack of trust that makes me not want her to go. The only thing I don't trust is that they'll come back in one piece!

Im sorry if I've worried you

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Wallis08, joined in March 2008, pretty much a scaremonger.

Malia is a safe place no doubt, its rather expensive to visit in comparison to places like Ibiza, Aya nappa so you get the youth who are there for serious fun, not messing about. Malia has a very mixed set of tourists with families and young groups.

In regards to the police, they see what young people can become under alcholic influence and they are very tough with youngsters misbehaving. Greece police like any country bar the UK have very patriotic people, and so the police are more that happy to stop yobs.

But as written before, Malia like any other place in Europe is not crime free, but if you look for danger youll find it. Stay in well lit areas and try to not be noticed and you will be safe.

Don't listen to Wallis08 as he never said one positive thing about the place, and to be honest, either hes making up all the things that happend to him or he's really unlucky!! To me hes just trying to scare you.

Hope your son has fun!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

I'm tagging on to this forum as it is the only activity I have seen on the Malia forum in awhile. I'm interested in going to the Mistral Hotel in Maleme, Chania, Malia, Crete. It's a singles resort hotel that sounds great,but the one and only review posted on it makes it sound awful.

Do any of you who seem to know the area know anything about this property? Is it really seedy in a bad location?

thanks,

ss

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Hi there

"Maleme, Chania, Malia" - which one is it? - these resorts are all well spread across the north coast of Crete and are as different as chalk and cheese. Maleme sits in the far west, Chania about 20 kms east of Maleme and Malia is way along the coast, some 35-odd kms east of Iraklion.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,222 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 17-19 year olds and a safe but lively resort

Well, from what I can figure out it is in: Maleme Chania 73100

Their website is: www.singlesincrete.com. Does this help you to help me?

thanks,

ss

Get answers to your questions about Malia