We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

warrington
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

My husband and I are thinking of staying in an appartment at the marina for one week in mid September. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is a quiet - as in traffic etc - place to be. I know that it has several restaurants/shops so it is not isolated but am not sure if it would be the best place to end our tour of Normandy. Ideally we are looking for a self catering appartment where we can sit & read or just watch the world go peacefully by. Any comments/help would be appreciated.

St Louet sur Vire...
Destination Expert
for Bayeux
Level Contributor
2,455 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

By mid-September anywhere in Normandy will be quiet. It's only ever really crowded in July and August.

warrington
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

Thanks for replying. Would you recommend this as a place to relax or is there anywhere else on the coast that you prefer at this time of year? Having done a tour for 2 weeks we are looking for a relaxing site that has shops/restaurants within walking distance.

UK
Level Contributor
152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

I would go for Cherbourg - lots of great resturants etc within walking distance of most places near the marina not sure of any specific accomodation but sure there must be some. We stayed at the Mecure Hotel which was pretty good if a little dated but great location.

warrington
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

Thanks for your help I'll take a look at Cherbourg

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Avignon
Level Contributor
13,351 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

If I wanted peace and quiet and scenery I would choose Carteret over Cherbourg. If you want restaurants, bars, lots of things to do, choose Cherbourg.

6. Re: Carteret Marina - relaxing place to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:25 am, December 06, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Barneville-Carteret