We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Hi,

2 questions:

1.If I want to see the worlds-end where it will be the best place to book the night?Haputella or elsewhere-prefer a place with many tourists?(if in any case I want to go afterwords to Ella then maybe its better to stay all 3 days there?)

2.I am landing at Colombo 14:00 (30may )and thinking of going straight to Haputella,is it wise?should I stay a night in Negombo and go the day after?

Thanks!!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,547 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Hi there,

1] Ohiya is closest. Haputale and Nuwara Eliya come 2nd, Ella is 30 mins further and as you want to be at entrance 7 AM maybe a bit too far. Ohiya is smallest/least touristy, the other 3 are far bigger with Haputale in between.

2] Not wise. Cab 6-7 hours, buses would cost 9-10 hours. Better do next day from Negombo, then you could also use train.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Cape Town Central...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Best if you could stay the night in Negombo and travel the following day. Plenty of places with good rates.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

You could go to Kandy on the day of your arrival. Cuts down travel the next day.

Level Contributor
42 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Wise to travel next day... You may go by train starting from colombo fort. It's about 6-7hour journey but will be so interesting sight seeings... if to travel by train better to reserve a ticket in advance. There are observation saloons and luxury compartments...

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

great thanks much!

so basically i have one last question.

1st day landing and stay the night in negombo

2nd day :

given the fact that im planning to go to haputella/ohiya just for day trip to the worlds end and then continue to ella,then wouldn't it be better to straight go from negombo to ella and then travelling to worlds end and other day trip from ella(or is it worth stop at haputella/ohiya and then continue straight from worlds end to ella?

since im travelling alone i dont want to mess my route with too many locations ...

thank you!

merav

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,547 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Hi again,

Well yes but it means a very early rise. WE good vistas mean being at Horton Plains entrance 7 AM to reach WE at 8.30 AM before the clouds tend to roll in. See #1. Ohiya departure for this entrance time 6:45 AM, Haputale or Eliya departure 6:15 AM and Ella departure 5:45 AM (which means rising before 5 AM unless you want to bring a breakfast picknick bag).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Thank you Erik,

So if I may, i would like to ask one last thing- where do you most recommend to stay the night-in terms of nice place:haputella or nuwara eliya?i might say that going to WE is the only reason im not going stright to Ella.

Thanks!

Merav

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,547 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

Well normally I'd say Haputale, but as it has quite some overlap with Ella where you already plan to stay in your case I'd say Eliya. As close as Haputale and a different experience...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

9. Re: Solo woman travelling from Colombo to Haputalle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 06, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Ella