We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

we are visiting sri lanka in early March tries booking train tickets from Nanu oya to Ella on the websites as suggested by previous travellers. Rajdhani shows only long journeys from Colombo and the exporail site says no train available on any day upto May. Has anyone booked this in the past online. If so please guide. Help is most appreciated

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

Two years ago, my husband and I( in our 70's) spent 3 weeks in Sri Lanka. We never booked anything but turned up at either a bus station or a train station to buy the ticket. The buses are nerve racking experiences, but I'm glad we tried ( and survived) them.

The train journeys in contras,t were a joy. We didn't bother with the Observation car, or even the first class carriage, but travelled second class all the time...which is fine. We never booked anything. Probably with 2nd class you don't have to. I'm sorry I can't remember which station we started our journey from but we LOVED Ella. Good Luck.

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
686 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

We have just done this train, we did not pre book as the whole train (2 carriages only) was all 3rd class and we loved it. Everyone got a seat.

We did see the train going the other way with the observation car and we are so glad we did not book it. It was full of tourists trying to look out of dirty windows where as we were hanging out the windows with the local kids having great fun.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,439 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

You had the 'goods train' then, indeed also an option.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
32 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

I tried to book with exporail the other day for April and they said they haven't opened up reservations for that period yet, maybe they haven't for March either?

5. Re: train from nanu oya to ella in sri lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 14, 2014