We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money transfer to guesthouse?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Money transfer to guesthouse?

Hello

I am trying to book a guesthouse in Ella for 3 nights in February. They have asked me to transfer a deposit of half the room rate into their bank account, is this normal for guest houses to ask? I am wary of sending money direct to someone's account. It also looks like I will be charged by my bank to do this as aim from the uk.

Many thanks

Lucy

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53,020 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

Hi Lucy,

Unfortunately they have to protect themselves to tourists cancelling at last minute or not even showing up at all, as this leaves them with an empty room they could have sold to someone else. So yes it's a practice...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

Thanks for your quick response Erik, we've had a bad experience of fraud on holiday before so I just wanted to check its normal practice. You have put my mind at rest.

Thanks

Lucy

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

Unfortunately smaller guesthouses don't have facilities to accept payments by debit/credit card.

Hans

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

Are they listed on any online travel agent such as Agoda.com, etc?

If so, it would make more sense to book online.

cheers

Tharindu

Herts, UK
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

We have just been asked to pay in full upfront for a 2 night house rental in Ella (via bank transfer). We paid in full for accomodation in Tangalle in advance but this was via Paypal, which i felt happier doing.

Is it reasonable for me to request to make the paymennt via paypal, or should we just accept this as normal and take the risk?

Many thanks

Alice

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
121 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

Yes, if you are dealing with a hotel/guest house, they may ask a deposit to confirm the booking due to reasons given by ErikdR.

If you are dealing with a travel agent, you may be asked to pay the full amount in advance to confirm the booking. The reason being the travel agents needs to pay the hotels in full before the arrival/departure of their guests (unless agent has credit terms with the hotel).

7. Re: Money transfer to guesthouse?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 04, 2014