We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around Demaguete and north

jonkoping
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Around Demaguete and north

We will be travelling from Bohol to Demaguete and spend some days in the Demaguete area and after that travel up the coast way some 150-200 km to take the ferry over to Cebu.

But how to plan the 6-7 days in Demaguete and the way up at the Negro coast. Shall we stay some days in Demaguete and make one day trip to different places or shall we go step by step up close to the coast and make several stops until we come to the ferry to Cebu??? Which place at Negro is the best to take a ferry to Cebu??? I have read that there a twin lakes close to Demaguete - but must we track to go to the lakes or is it possible to drive? Good if you can give me different "must do" clos to Demaguete

Göran

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
2,379 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Around Demaguete and north

This should give you all the information you need. I certainly recommend Siquijor, Apo Island and Valencia as I've been to all of these.

dumagueteinfo.com/negros-oriental-sightseein…

dumagueteinfo.com/sightseeing-around-dumague…

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/apo-island.php

http://www.dumagueteinfo.com/siquijor.php

dumagueteinfo.com/dumaguete-sightseeing.php

If you decide to travel up the east coast of Negros, a ferry travels from San Carlos City to Toledo on Cebu Island. Just take a bus to Cebu City, once you get there. Saves going back to Dumaguete.

liteferries.com/schedules-a-rates/16-san-car…

jonkoping
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Around Demaguete and north

Thanks -good information.

Next question: Is therais and San Carlos?????

Goran

jonkoping
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around Demaguete and north

I meant between Bais and San Carlos

jonkoping
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around Demaguete and north

Is there any good beach resorts between Bais and San Carlos?????

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,776 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around Demaguete and north

Which place at Negro is the best to take a ferry to Cebu

----------------------------------------------------------

Once you are 200 km up the coast, the normal way would be boat from San Carlos to Toledo.

I don't know of any resort between Bais and San Carlos but this is what I found by googling

touroriental.com/wheretostay/staynegrosorien…

If you can't find anything suitable, I know of a place that might interest you.

It is not on the coast between Bais and San Carlos but I presume you can get there by boat from some where along the coast. You could try

http://badianhotel.com/

Usually reach from the island of Cebu.

Pomeroy, Washington
Level Contributor
532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Around Demaguete and north

If you like halo halo...

On your way from Dumaguette to San Carlo stop at Mama's cafe in Guihulngan. One of the best I've run into!

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Around Demaguete and north

Hello!

I suggest that you base yourself in Dumaguete. Lots of choices for accommodation, food.

Things to do:

Twin Lakes. 30 -40 mins fr the city to the junction. 11 kms fr the junction to the lake.

Bais for dolphin watching and the sandbar of Manjuyod. 1 hour from Dgte to the pier where the boats are.

Dauin and Apo island for snorkeling and diving. 30 mins away to Dauin. from Dauin to 45 mins to 1 hour to Apo island, depending on sea conditions.

Casaroro Falls. 30 mins away to Valencia. and trekking to the falls depends on your pace.

Mabinay for spelunking/caving. an hour way.

If you want to break the trip from Dgte to San Carlos. Maybe an overnight at Lalimar Beach Resort in La Libertad is okay. they have dorm rooms and private rooms. a great pool that overlooks Liloan, Cebu. good place to relax.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 3:52 am, February 24, 2014
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Around Demaguete and north

@ Goran

I agree with Dubson and Soul2 - DO visit Apo island (excellent snorkelling, and one of the few tourist spots in Phils which is still exactly the way it was 50 years ago) and Siquijor (spend a few days in the latter - it is amazingly untouristy, yet with all the facilities of a good tourist spot)

My Suggestion - Dumaguete - visit Apo island for a day (or stay overnight at any of the 2 simple 'resorts' here) - Stay for 2-3 days at Siquijor (coco grove would be my recommendation) - return to Dumaguete (ferry) --> continue on your trip to the North.

Here are a few TA reviews and photos which will tell you why I say so -

1) Apo Island - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1074098-d14942… and tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1074098-d…

2) Siquijor - Cocogrove - tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g664445-d650741… and Tubod marine sanctuary -

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g664445-d1… and

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Around Demaguete and north

Hi

The ferry to Cebu departs from a few miles North of Dumaguete at Tempi - no need to travel there in stages, only takes about 40 minutes. There's an air-con bus service that departs Dumaguete to Cebu City that takes the ferry and you can book on arrival at Dumaguete bus station - just arrive there about 45 60 mins before travel. There's one at 1120 from DGTE. The fare is not expensive - about P200 each from memory (just did this trip earlier this month).

The Twin Lakes of Balinsasayao are worth a visit. You can take a vehicle up there, but I'd recommend 4x4 as the track gets pretty bumby - A Mitsubishi Adventure will do it - you can hire one from Scud car rental in the city (corner Colon Street/Sta Catalina Street - P2200 per day if you haggle). Other than that, take a bus and then motorbike taxi(s).

Negros Island...
Destination Expert
for Bacolod, Negros Island
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Around Demaguete and north

There are several areas in Negros Or and Occ to get to Cebu. From what OP was saying, they want to catch the Cebu boat fr San Carlos City hence the suggested stopovers.

Get answers to your questions about Dumaguete City