We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuesday Souk in Azrou

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Tuesday Souk in Azrou

Don't miss this experience. We went to Azrou on Tuesday and stopped into the Souk, market place. This is not your tourist Souk. There are no tourists here. This is the authentic market where your regular Moroccan buys and sells goods. If you go to Fez or Marrakech Souks, you're getting a Market partially catering to tourists or hoping tourists will buy. Not here. This place is amazing. There are tens of thousands of people riding horses, donkeys, bicycles, and all types of things. They sell livestock, fruits, vegetables, old pots and pans, old clothes, and the entire kitchen sink. As we walked through the crowds, we certainly stood out, yet no one gave us a second look. It is overwhelming and unbelievable. The people seemed so poor, yet so content and at peace. Check it out for yourself. I can't describe the feelings you have upon seeing this controlled chaos.

11 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

Nice posting. Azrou is the largest market in the Middle Atlas and it's fascinating to visit and try and work out what's going on.

In one part you will see trucks arriving, one with oranges, another with water melons, another with onions and so on. These guys then sell in bulk to the stall holders and you won't find fresher vegetables unless you pull them yourself.

Donkeys, mules, sheep, goats, chickens are all for sale in another part. The price of sheepskins tend to fall immediately after Eid al-Adha (Feast of the Sacrifice) as every family has a skin to sell.

What you won't find are berber carpets, the floor coverings on sale tend to be plastic woven mats which probably aren't what tourists are after. ;)

Azrou is a lovely town with much to see and do in the vicinity including natural springs, cedar forests, volcanos, wild monkeys...

Fes
Level Contributor
573 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

Tim, what's this about there being no berber carpets etc. on sale at Azrou's Tuesday souk? Is this a new thing? Until very very recently there was usually 3 or 4 dedicated carpet sellors at the souk (usually on the ,left just inside the wall at the souk entrance nearest the town, and then usually just some locals often selling their own carpets in an open area opposite them). Have the carpet vendors been removed from the souk for some reason? Let us know.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

I've spent a lot of time in Azrou and have visited the market probably half a dozen times. I've never seen carpets there, but if you have, then that's good news for the visitors.

There's a carpet cooperative in Ben Smim which is only a few km away (roughly north). The shop in Azrou's central square just down from Hotel Cedars has been recommended to me, but I know very little about carpets, so don't hold me to this. :)

Edited: 1:31 pm, February 21, 2011
London
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

hi

please can you advise what time the azrou souk takes place on a tuesday?

also what time is the wednesday souk at ain leuh souk?

and how will the weather be there in mid november? thanks

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

i was there severly time realy is big one and super ; you can find alot of thing and you see alot of things ; but not touristique

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

Hi,

Are there any souk like this one down south? or even in the Anti atlas mountains?

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

Souqs are held all over the country. Guide books are a good source of market information.

In some regions (especially in the north) small towns and villages are named, for example, 'Souq el Arba des Beni Hassan' or 'Souq Khemis des Beni Arouss', 'Souq Tnine des Beni Harden' which translates to 'Wednesday market of the Hassan people', 'Thursday market of the Arouss people', 'Monday market of the Harden people' and so on.

The stall holders start their journey to the market before dawn, set up at first light and things are generally closing down by early afternoon so everyone can dismantle and travel home before dark.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

If in the south, there is a genuine souk at Nekob that runs from Saturday through to Sunday that sells all sorts of provisons to meet local daily needs. On Wednesdays, up on the plain to the south of Boumalne du Dades, you will find a newly built souk to which people travel large distances to sell their livestock.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
9,395 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

The souqs in remote areas are interesting. I had never seen a sugarloaf before.

Sometimes there's tinners mending kettles and saucepans, farriers hoofing mules and donkeys, and sometimes you'll come across SPANA, the animal charity, with its free clinics for equines.

Want to buy a new (or secondhand) saddle for your mule? This is the place.

I broke down in the Rif next to a souq and needed to do an electrical repair on the motorbike to bypass the fuel controller. Within five minutes of shopping I'd bought cable, electrical tape, a knife and some electrical connectors, all for a few dirham.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tuesday Souk in Azrou

On the other hand, almost the opposite experience of Tim's is also possible, one in which hardly anything to speak of is on sale at all! For example, I remember walking out of Amezri early one morning in 1997 to see white tents being erected on a small elevated terrace on the south side of the Tassaout Valley. (Today this terrace has been built upon and several houses sit upon it.) I eagerly set off to find out what I might be able to buy. However, despite the large number of stalls which by then had set up for business, only two items were for evidently for sale: apples and live goats ....

Reply to: Tuesday Souk in Azrou
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Azrou
More Azrou Topics