We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

Hi All,

Next April will be our 2nd visit to South Island, NZ. This time, we fly to Auckland and then get domestic flight to Queenstown.

This time, we'll have full day Fox Glacier walk. So from Queenstown airport, after pick up campervan, we'll head to Fox Glacier (may stay 1 night in Haast or Lake Hawae).

We'll come back same route to Wanaka, Queenstown, and Glenorchy, then find some half or full day walks.

I saw this 2 websites;

lakewanaka.co.nz/new-zealand/Half-day-walks/

www.glenorchyinfocentre.co.nz/daywalks.html

Some of them sound popular like

Routeburn Day Walk, Rob Roy Glacier Track, Aspiring Hut .. so confused which one to choose.

We've 9 day / 8 night in south island, also did half day Franz Josef and hooker valley, mount cook in April 2012.

Please recommend few walks that suit our trips.

One more question about hiking shoes rental. Are there any rental shops in Wanaka or Glenorchy. In case, some tracks need hiking shoes or just sneakers are ok?

(My last trip in hooker valley, I wore leather boot and my feet really hurt 1 hour before the walk done)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,515 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

I would not recommend any serious walks/tramps in April without proper boot as the tracks could be muddy. Short walks are fine in hiking shoes. How fit are you? Rob Roy Glacier is a great walk but quite long and the road in can be a challenge. The first leg of the Routeburn is nice, Go to the DoC website for more details on the length & relative difficulty of the various walks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,302 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

Welcome back Sakullak :)

But tut tut, you should know better than getting of a long flight and planning such a long drive all on the one day.

Have you considered flying into Chch instead of Queenstown? - the drive Chch to Fox is an easier drive than Q'town to Fox.

Re boot hire - the most important thing to do for your feet is hike in footwear which is comfortable for your feet. This means you must wear the footwear quite a bit before planning to spend any time hiking all day in them. So buy a pair of good quality hiking boots or hiking shoes now and wear them all day once a week, every week, so that your feet get used to them and they mould around your feet.

And just to make your decision making harder, also consider the walk up Diamond Lake and Rocky Mountain - stunning views www.lakewanaka.co.nz/new-zealand/product/…

DOC in Wanaka can provide maps and track conditions, always best to check with them first.

Happy hiking :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

If you do the Routeburn, forget that suggestion of turning around at Routeburn Falls. It's pretty ridiculous to walk all that way and then not spend the extra 10-15 minutes to get up into the alpine zone which is where it starts getting really scenic. If you have clear weather, it's frankly a lot easier to get alpine views there than in most other places I have been (you never go higher than 4000 feet, so no shortness of breath from thin air). If you get an early start it's not hard to get to Harris Saddle and back at a relaxed pace, and you have to go most of the way there to see Lake Harris anyways.

If you want a short walk then Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Flats is beautiful. Lots of nice rainforest scenery and bright blue water crossings, and chances to see wildlife too (I had a kaka fly right by me in this section). But if you're going to commit to Routeburn Falls, it would be crazy to not go farther to the really great views.

Also note you have to take a dirt road for a significant part of the trip between Glenorchy and Routeburn Shelter, so plan on 45 minutes or so for the drive.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

I should be clearer about the bright blue water crossings: lots of nice swingbridges bridges to cross them.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

I agree with zhuhai2007 about the footwear. Even discounting mud, boots with really good ankle support are critical for me, especially on downhill sections on the return trip when my legs are already a bit tired from the hike uphill. Thick wool socks are also great for comfort and blister prevention (don't wear cotton socks unless you love blisters! honestly, don't wear cotton anything hiking in such a rainy area where the weather comes fast)

Edited: 3:00 pm, November 25, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

Thank you so much everyone. :)

zhuhai2007, last year I did Fox Glacier half day and hooker valley, they're just started point of my walking and I love it. So I want to do it again.

WanakaLakes, we did Chirstchurch - Arthur's Pass - Franz , Fox - Wanaka , Queenstown - Mount Cook - Chirstchurch in April So we want something different. I know Queenstown - Fox Glacier is long way, I remember we left Franz Josef early in morning and arrived Queenstown at 6 PM.

But this trip, we're not rush .. just to return to do something we love, enjoy the campervan life, slowly driving. We plan to stop in Haast or somewhere before Fox Glacier. Then Fox 2-3 days, back to Wanaka 2-3 days, and visit some places we miss around Queenstown like Glenorchy.

spurs f, Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Flats sound interesting. Campervan can get there to the parking, right? I'll find more details on DOC website.

How about Boundary Creek Track and Boundary Creek campsite, is it beautiful?

As everyone concern about footwear and also my experience hurting my feet in Hooker Valley, I really need to good support one.

Last trip, we're so lucky. It's just rain while we're driving. But even on the same raining day, when we arrived destination and did some activities, the sky 're so clear and beautiful. :)

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

Yeah, I can't see any reason why a campervan couldn't make it to Routeburn Shelter. If you end up doing Routeburn Shelter to Routeburn Flats, you might consider going a little farther up to a slip with the iconic Routeburn Track view:

…photobucket.com/user/…100_3444.jpg.html

I want to say it was about 20-25 minutes or so past Routeburn Flats Shelter, on the hike towards Routeburn Falls. The Routeburn Flats to Routeburns Falls hike is mostly devoid of views except in this slip and one other one a little before.

Check the rest of that folder for more shots of Routeburn. All the forested pics I took are from the section between Routeburn Shelter and Routeburn Flats.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

spurs f, wow ..thank you for the pictures link, they are stunning!! when did you take it ? which month?

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
219 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

I was there earlier this month.

Wanaka, New Zealand
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommend trekking, walking in Wanaka & Glenorchy.

Hi sakullak,

it depends what you are after. The Routeburn Walk is a Great Walk and is a gravel path, easy to walk on and you could easily do it in runnin shoes. Lots of people but stunning all the same.

Rob Roy Glacier is another stunning walk more of a track not a path so more challenging. I've still worn running shoes up this easily as well. It won't be as busy as the Routeburn but has stunning views of the glacier. Good if the weather is bad at Fox and you don't get to the glacier. See this page www.lakewanaka.co.nz/new-zealand/product/…

The walk into Mt Aspiring Hut is pretty much through farm country on a track. Not in the bush but with mountains all around you - it is an easy 2 hour walk and again running shoes will be fine.

I hope this helped.

cheers

Tess