We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic restaurant?

Which Wanaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
564 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic restaurant?

Hi - I have read through the previous topic that had many great suggestions for restaurants in Wanaka.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest which restaurant would have a more romantic atmosphere? Perhaps a table or tables that would provide some privacy?

Any information or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic restaurant?

I think romance comes through who you are dining with, not your surroundings. I haven't dined in Wanaka all year but can't think of any restaurant with private tables.

If looking for something really private then consider eating at your accommodation with your own private chef. It will cost plenty but their food is quite exceptional and you won't need to worry about other tables. http://www.raspberrycreek.mfbiz.com/

or grab a picnic and head off out to a lakeside and/or mountain vantage point. There are also at least three lakeside public BBQ's in Wanaka where you can cook for yourselves outdoors.

best of luck :)

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
564 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Thank you WanakaLakes. I agree that the romance comes through who you dine with, however we are looking for a restaurant that would offer a bit of privacy (celebrating a special occasion).

If anyone thinks of something please let me know! Will not be in NZ until November so lots of time!

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic restaurant?

What about a picnic basket prepared by professional caterers. Sweet secluded spot overlooked by mountains and green fields. Breeze wafting through the tussock grasses. The baa'ing of lambs gamboling in the paddock. Lake glistening below.

Full size blanket the ground with selection of comfy cushions. Crystal glasses clinking with the rich full colour of local wines. NZ falcon soaring overhead beneath a scattering of fluffy white clouds in azure skies.

Cool whisps of wind scattering loose hair across eyes bright with deep feeling and passion for the joy of life. The slow drift of fingers lightly brushing sun warmed skin.

Sounds better than a restaurant to these old bones. :-)

(I'll leave out the sandflies!!)

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Most of the luxury lodges/B&Bs will provide dinner (or picnic hampers) on request, which can feel a lot more special and private than going out to a restaurant.

Alternatively charter a boat complete with picnic lunch and head up the lake away from the crowds, Adventure Wanaka Ltd looks to have some good reviews on TA.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Following the picnic theme, I have been reading of something I hadn't heard of before. Heli-picnics. Several helicopter companies, some based in Wanaka will prepare the gourmet picnic basket for you then fly you up to a pristine Alpine location for your own private 'Sound of Music' retake. Sweet.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic restaurant?

yep, Lochnagar is a magical spot, I've flown flown up there with Wanaka Helicopters wanakahelicopters.co.nz/scenic-flights/exclu…

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Link to a nice painting of Lake Lochnagar (which is probably tautological since I believe Loch already means lake)

murrayayson.com/images/…lochnagar.jpg

Thanks Wanaka

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Romantic restaurant where I can find?

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Hi Heidi

A bit like making wonderful tasting soup out of a stone. Find the suitable vessel and throw in the soup stone, add a bit of heat and stir. Chuck in all the lovely goodies you can get your hands on. A bit of bling here, some shiny consumer goods there, a few spicy bits and juicy lumps. Slowly simmer the mix until the steam rises.

Then chuck away the stone and enjoy what's left ;-)

Romance 101

A bit like your question elsewhere about understanding people when you don't know their language. Become skilled at reading the body language, use a little bit of empathy and sympathy, and heck of a lot of imagination. Even if you don't know their true story, you can always make up your own. Sometimes more fun that way.

Ontario, Canada
Destination Expert
for Sudbury
Level Contributor
564 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic restaurant?

Wow thank you all for the wonderful suggestions. I definitely like the idea of a catered picnic.

Can anyone direct me to a caterer in Wanaka who might do this?

This is why I love these forums! I would have never thought of that on my own and its a fabulous idea. Thanks again : )