We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which walk in Wanaka?

Which Wanaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
261 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Which walk in Wanaka?

We just had a wonderful walk in Hooker Valley Mt Cook, under the ultra clear blue sky. Now we hope to see something different from glaciers, snow capped mountain tops etc. Which walk shall we take in Wanaka? Preferably a walk that require medium fitness and not more than 3 hours. From the images on websites, Rob Roy Glacier Track looks quite similar to Hooker Valley Track, am I right or wrong?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,313 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

I think it is very different as it is largely in the beech forest - something you don't see at all on the Hooker Track.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,398 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

The Rob Roy track is steep but well worth the effort. It is different to the Hooker track and on a clear blue sky the Rob Roy track is brilliant.

Enjoy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

Hi

I will be queenstown in Dec. I want to do the Rob Roy track. Do you know how long it takes to drive from Qtown to the track head?

Also I will have my 9 and 11 daughters. Will it be Ok for that age you think?

How long does it take a fit adult (like me) to complete the track?

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Matt

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

Hi Matt :)

The drive to the trail head is 51ks and will take one hour if road conditions are good. The majority of the road is unsealed and the last 6kms or so has no bridges over the half-dozen or so streams. The first ford is the deepest. If you can do that one the rest will be fine. Best not to attempt the drive after heavy rain as the fords will be mini-rivers and the road muddy. I actually think the drive to the Rob Roy trail more spectacular than the actual hike.

My favourite walk is Diamond Lake which has stunning views over the lake and mountains. The access road is all sealed fallingleaveswanaka.wordpress.com/walks/

Both are fine for your girls, though they might huff and puff more on the Rob Roy. There are often kea (mountain parrots) at the top, bounding across the rocks. They are very entertaining. Just please don't feed them, human food is bad for them. It takes me about 90 minutes to get to the top of Rob Roy and about 45 minutes down (it's all downhill). The swing bridge at the beginning of the track is fun.

Enjoy :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

Hi there,

I'm really interested in doing the Diamond lakes walk or maybe the Rob Roy walk (as time permits) - they both sound amazing - but, we'll be there next week! Are these tracks walkable during winter?

Cheers,

Alana

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

I'm not sure. Send a message directly "wanna lakes", a poster above. Just click on their user name above and then click on "send message" in the left hand bar of their page. They may not see this post you have put up.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

Hi Alana :)

The Diamond Lake track can be icy through the winter months and there are times it is too icy to attempt. Best to check with DOC (Dept of Conservation) in Wanaka as they will know the current weather, road and track conditions.

Even if you don't hike Rob Roy, see if you can drive the one hour route to the trailhead - it really is a stunning drive.

…govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/…

Enjoy :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,405 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

The walk to Diamond Lake only takes 10 minutes, via an uphill climb from the car-park. It should be no problem in the winter.

HOWEVER, the trail then continues to the Rocky Hill Summit Circuit...which is a steep, narrow trail of switchbacks. This one isn't recommended in winter and for good reason - mud or ice on this trail makes it dangerous.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

WanakaLakes - regarding the drive to the Rob Roy trailhead -

- Do you need a 4X4 to cross the riverbeds?

- Translating "road is unsealed" into the NORMAL English we speak in Canada, do you mean "unpaved"? :)

Thx

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which walk in Wanaka?

Nope, campervans and rental cars drive up the valley each day. You don;t need a 4WD unless there is snow or heavy mud. The streams can be high at times so use your judgement. If in doubt, walk through the first stream crossing to judge the depth before trying to drive though.

Each month a few rental cars are towed from the streams - in most cases it is a case of the driver speeding up to cross as they want to make a big splash. And if you recall in physics, a car hitting water has the same force as a car hitting a brick wall - so best to slow down.

And yes, the road is unsealed which means unpaved. Usually such roads are called gravel roads here in NZ, but a lot of the rest of the world wouldn't know what gravel is, lol.

As for Canadians speaking NORMAL English - nope - can't agree there. Half of you speak French and the other half speak corrupted English influenced by your many cousins across the southern border ;)