We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Wanaka

England
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Wanaka

As part of a one month trip to New Zealand we will be spending 2 nights in Wanaka, 31/12 and 01/01.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what to do to celebrate the New Year here?

Thank you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

At this time of the year Wanaka is really popular with other Kiwi. It is one of "the" party spots in the South Island over New Years Eve. Chances are it will come to you.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

So many options.

You can party, dance, enjoy the fireworks, have a private celebration far from others, skydive, swim... not necessarily in that order :)

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

What a wonderful part of the world to celebrate anything.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

Quite right Harleynut. The only thing not available is "boring". WL's options are probably even available simultaneously.

If you got 10 kiwi from a range of places and asked them to list the top 3 SI places for New Year, they would all have Wanaka on their list!

Edited: 12:15 am, September 13, 2010
England
Level Contributor
41 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

Thank you for your thoughts, here were we thinking it would be a quiet town and so may not have been too exciting for new year, I guess we were wrong. Definately looking forward to seeing in the New Year in such an amazing setting.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

my advice would be to book accommodation if you are definitely going to be here for New Years. Even the camp grounds get fully booked. Enjoy

7. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, December 08, 2010
Christchurch
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

There is an awesome Drum'n'Bass and Dubstep night on at Mint Bar on New Years Eve!

Mint Bar is part of Base Backpackers.

Joint Forces are playing there!

They are a New Zealand Dubstep crew that have had releases all over the world.

There are also some other awesome acts as well.

Well recommended if you are into dance music. Joint Forces are great!

I live in Christchurch, but i will be down in Wanaka for New Years Eve.

I will be there for sure!

9. Re: New Years Eve in Wanaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:40 am, June 14, 2011