We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanaka in Late April

Which Wanaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Wanaka in Late April

Hello again,

I have a couple general questions for Wanaka in Late April. We will have 9 nights in the region (flying in and out of QT), and plan to spend 3 of those in Wanaka (followed by 2 in Te Anau and 4 in QT). The dates of our stay in Wanaka should be 20-23rd of April. My questions are...

Should the leaves be turned then?

When is the grape harvest...I am wondering if the anti-bird netting will be removed or still in place on most vinyards?

What time does the sun set?

Also, given we are spending time on both sides of QT and there seems to be no other route to take other than back-tracking, anyone have suggestions of a better route than the one planned?

Arrive QT - drive to Wanaka - stay 3 nights

Drive Te Anau - Stay 2 nights - do Milford

Drive back to QT - stay 4 nights

I am considering cutting a night off QT and staying 1 night somewhere else to break up the long drive from Wanaka to Te Anau. Is Kingston woth a stop? Otherwise, maybe 1 night Arrowtown or QT on route...suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanaka in Late April

Hi Jason :)

Different grapes are harvested at different times. While the majority of grapes may have been picked by late April I have no idea if all the netting will be removed. If you wish to photograph a specific place you are best to ask the vineyard directly.

The drive Wanaka to Te Anau is under 3 hours if you go via the Crown Range. About 40 minutes to the Frankton turn-off then an easy two hours to Te Anau. Via Cromwell the drive is just over 3 hours.

When driving to Wanaka from Queenstown you might wish to go via Cromwell, about 80 minutes drive. Then a few days later return over the Crown Range and on to Te Anau.

you can use this to guess Queenstown sunrise/set http://www.rasnz.org.nz/SRSStimes.htm

happy planning :)

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanaka in Late April

Since you'll be in Te Anau, you might want to give up one of your QT days and do Doubtful Sound. They have a day trip that is well worth it. (I did the overnight Doubtful Sound cruise three weeks ago on the Fiordland Navigator - the most beautiful excursion I've ever taken, but these are booked months in advance. You would have to check if there would be a spot.)

For sunset times, check out http://www.rasnz.org.nz/SRSStimes.htm

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wanaka in Late April

I almost forgot.

About the vineyards, Mark Orbell http://www.ridgelinenz.com/ can answer whatever questions you have. His sister helped establish one of the wineries in Otago and Mark does a wineries tour.Our group very much enjoyed the day of wine tasting, scenery and photography (the lunch was delicious also). He can pick you up in Queenstown for the tour if you'd like.

Edited: 10:17 am, February 25, 2010
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wanaka in Late April

Thanks for the responses. Sorry to say, but after looking at Wanaka a little more, I am now considering taking a day off our planned stay there. We are gone back to the planning stages again now and are even considering a couple of nights in Dunedin instead of Wanaka, and perhaps just a day trip to Wanaka from QT...

Gonna look into Doubtful sound a little, maybe stay in Te Anau for a little longer to do this trip. Usually have no trouble planning our holidays, however New Zealand is proving to be very difficult!

I know that I want to stay in Queenstown for a few days, do some hiking in Fjordland and see Milford (short hikes with toddler on the back), and visit some nice vinyards, and that's about it...9 days...sure we can fit more in but having a hard time deciding what/where !!

thanks again! Surely I will re-post when I finalize the itenerary a little more!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wanaka in Late April

Te Anau....we spent 1 night there and it was plenty. There is not much there :) We came off the Doubtful Sound overnight, stopped there 1 night to see the glow worms & then headed off to milford the next day (I could see spending another night in TA to avoid a long drive back to QT). I'd spend extra days in QT....there is so much to do there, even just walking along the lake shore or short hikes (can also be done in Wanaka).

Ditto Mark at Ridgeline in Wanaka, his tour was great.

6. Re: Wanaka in Late April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:36 am, September 05, 2010