We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airplane or helicopter tour?

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
78 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Airplane or helicopter tour?

I'd love to go up in the air for some spectacular views of this area. We will have (hopefully...weather permitting) flown from Milford Sound back to Qtown. At other points in our trip, we will be to Mount Cook & the Fox glacier (heli-hike), so I'm thinking about doing a flight that includes Mt. Aspiring.

I'm debating between the scenic tours via helicopter or small plane. The plane seems cheaper. Are there any other differences or pros/cons to taking 1 type of flight vs. the other?

Wanaka Flightseeing (plane) vs. Wanaka Helicopters vs.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airplane or helicopter tour?

Hi Zoe, you will be delighted whichever you choose :)

However I think taking a heli-flight particularly spectacular as it gets you much closer to the scenery. Plus landing high in the mountains is wonderful. Here's a trip I did last year with Wanaka Helicopters... tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g612500-d1…

I cannot recommend them highly enough :)

Wanaka
Level Contributor
22 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airplane or helicopter tour?

Hi Zoe

I would agree with WanakaLakes - both options are good, but very different experiences. I would wholeheartedly reccomend Wanaka Helicopters, and if you ask them they will point out some Lord of the Rings Locations on the way. Simon or Steve know the mountains like the back of their hands.

Helicopter trips do tend to cost more but the closeness to the scenery makes it worth the extra expense.

3. Re: Airplane or helicopter tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 12, 2010