We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

Planning a last minute trip to NZ with my wife, and wanted to see as much as possible. Heard amazing things about Queenstown, and thought we'd head there. Seems like there are a ton of trips around there, does it make the most sense to set up in Queenstown and stay there and do day trips, or just stay over in different places around there? trying to figure out what we should do.. Glacier sounds cool, Milford sound, sky diving perhaps, LOTR tour? just not sure what would be the must do things in such a short trip... Can anyone help?

Thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

imo you are trying to cram too much into too short a time period.

I suggest you add the 4-5 days to your time in Oz and come back and visit NZ when you have a few weeks to properly explore. Otherwise you will spend all your time in airports and planes... not the ideal way to spend your honeymoon.

Best of luck :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

Fair enough, thanks for the input.. that certainly wouldn't be the first time I've heard that. Unfortunately given how far Au/NZ is to get to, I just really have no idea when/if I'll be back, and I'm dying to get a little taste of NZ, maybe just to entice me to come back. We will have some down time in northern Au to sit on the beach and relax, and even though its our honeymoon, we're treating it as another trip and want to see as much as we can. I figured that would probably be too much, just trying to figure out what would be the must see spots in such a short trip. I thought maybe we could even fly in to Queenstown, check it out, fly to and from Milford one day, maybe skip the glaciers, and drive back through Lindis on our way to Christchurch maybe checking things out on the way, and then fly out of christchurch..

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

Not sure if you've seen my response to your other thread yesterday...

... do you have 5 days actually in NZ? or is that two days of travel and 3 days to explore?

possibly you could;

1 arrive Queenstown

2 bus/cruise Milford Sound, fly back to Queenstown

3 drive the Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook, explore Tasman glacier

4 flight over Fox/Franz glaciers, drive to Chch

5 explore, fly home

The Milford Road is glorious and is half the experience of visiting the fiord. Best is to bus there, cruise, fly back (weather permitting).

hope this helps :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

Thanks for the ideas, that itinerary looks pretty good. I did see your other response.. still finalizing exactly how much time I will have based on flights.. looking to be in Cairns by the evening of the 20th, and could either fly over to NZ from Sydney on the evening of the 14th, or morning of the 15th. might actually buy some extra time by flying into Christchurch the evening of the 14th, then could basically do that itinerary backwards.. we just weren't sure how much there was to see/do at Mt Cook.. but if we climb/hike/walk so glaciers or do a quick helicopter tour, that could work.. I had read that the drive into milford sound is great, and although I don't love the idea of being on a bus/coach as opposed to our own car, I guess thats the price you pay for being able to fly back quickly..

thanks again for your advice.. any other ideas, or suggestions for rental cars/flights, etc are appreciated.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,631 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

This is the Tasman glacier trip which you will need to book in advance

http://www.glacierexplorers.com/

for last minute accommodation look at www.wotif.com

you mentioned skydiving, the best in the country is in Wanaka (45 minutes from Q'town) so best to save that for your next visit.

Have a great honeymoon :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

So, booked our flights, now filling in the middle.. we arrive into Christchurch the evening of the 15th. We're going to crash there, then head out in the morning, Monday the 16th, and have a rental car for the week. We fly out of Queenstown on Saturday the 21st in the afternoon, so we have 5 full days on the ground. We're thinking of driving to Mt Cook from there, and checking that out, potentially doing a helicopter ride over the range/glaciers. (any other ideas?). then we're either going to crash there for the night, or keep going down to Wanaka or Queenstown. Tuesday we'd like to go skydiving in Wanaka. (recommendations for operators?) Then were thinking of driving to Milford sound on Wednesday or Thursday, and either staying there for the night, or driving back. (again, ideas? we had heard about someone that slept on a boat? Also, are we better off doing the bus trip there, and the flight back? I'm fine driving, but imagine that flight is pretty amazing. When else should we do in Miford Sound?).

Once back in Queenstown, probably just hang out there and explore..

Thanks for the help, we can't wait

7. Re: South Island/Queenstown for 4-5 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 01, 2010