We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

Which Wanaka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
367 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

Is a day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

My boyfriend and I will be staying in Queenstown and only have ONE spare day to allocate to a day trip somewhere out of Queenstown.

I've heard Wanaka is beautiful. Is it too cold to get out of the car? I'd love to do a nice walk (max 3 hours return) or a scenic drive.

Open to suggestions - i would really like to make the most of this day.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

Wanaka is 2 - 3 degrees warmer than Queenstown throughout the year, so if Wanaka is too cold to leave your car, then Queenstown will be positively freezing!

For a good day out from Queenstown I suggest you visit Arrowtown, an early gold mining town, then drive over the Crown Range to Wanaka. Take a walk... my favourite hikes here -http://fallingleaveswanaka.wordpress.com/walks/

(Rob Roy and Diamond Lake aren't recommended in winter)

or take a drive up the Matukituki valley to Mt Aspiring National Park.

Then drive via Cromwell through Gibbston Valley, possibly visiting some of the boutique vineyards for a tasting, stop at the Kawarau Bridge to bungee jump, or watch others jump, then back to Queenstown.

Hamilton, New...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

I will be doing something along the lines of the suggestion above in November. I am wondering are Arrowtown, Wanaka and Cromwell townships open on the weekend or are the generally all closed?? I'm guessing all the touristy things like the Bungy and wineries are open on the weekend??

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

Hi MM, welcome to the forum :)

all the restaurants, vineyards and activities will be open on the weekends, some retail shops may be closed part/all of Sunday.

It's a great area to explore, enjoy :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,161 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

The resort towns of Wanaka and Queenstown and the coutryside in between) are always worth a visit regardless of the weather. They are quite different in each season, it one of their attractions. The towns are also quite different in tempo and look. A round trip through Cromwell and back over the Crown Range would be a day well spent. It's never so cold in either place that you would not get out of the car. August is still winter but we do not really get the extremes of cold. Well not so cold an Ozzie could not take it!

5. Re: Day trip to Wanaka in August worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 26, 2010