We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri La - My review

G G
Sydney, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
Shangri La - My review

and i have to say that the resort itself was wonderful and clean. You would not know floods were nearby..

the roads are bumpy though and it adds an extra 10 mins or so to the trip due to the floods

We stayed in an ocean bure, couples only. Was very lovely!

The food in the resort is average.. I wouldnt say it was great. If you want a good meal, that is half the price, i suggest getting out of the resort.. We went into a town to a restaurant called tomlu's..They had fresh lobster and mud crab... Dont let the shanty looking town sway you.

Also try geckos just outside of the resort.. They had beautiful meals

The Fijians are such lovely people, and for your children, for only a few dollars, they will watch them better then some babysitters here!

They say not to tip, but honestly, these people work for only a few dollars a day, and giving them even a dollar they are extremely grateful! The smiles is enough to warm your heart.

Keep in mind that it is preferred to be cash free, the restaurants like to charge to the room, but the little places are happy to take cash (and tips)

Also, if you are after those wonderful handmade jewellery etc, definitely buy it from the locals who sit down all day waiting for you to buy it... The money goes directly to them, whereas in the shops in the resort, they dont get anything.

If you are buying wood products (they have spome beautiful handmade and carved stuff) make sure it is treated/laquered for customs

Buy your water from a supermarket out of town.. a 1.5lt bottle there is only a few dollars, but at the resort over $8.. Our taxui driver was happy to stop on the way

If you are thinking of a destination wedding, the chapel is divine! the view of the ocean is gorgeous, and the local village choir make it magical

Also keep your receipts that you sign on.. and get a printout of your bill the night before you check out and match it against your receipts..

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri La - My review

Hi there

Did you use a local hairdresser and makeup artist? We are getting married there in November 2013 and am interested in Any info if possible :)

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,559 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri La - My review

Hi G G

Glad you had a great holiday. Your information is helpful/informative. Many people check the reviews for resorts they are interested in. Suggest you copy and paste what you have posted in the review section. To post a review click on "write a review" on the top of this page.

Edited: 8:41 pm, June 12, 2013
Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri La - My review

Hi GG, that's great and I agree with E&C - reviews get lost in the forums so consider posting the above in the review section as well. I only had one slight problem with your review, I had to take a moment to wonder "But who would eat geckos?", then I realised you meant Geckos the resort / restaurant and felt like a complete idiot! LOL.

4. Re: Shangri La - My review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, November 24, 2014