We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Hi, my partner and i are visiting Fiji for 7 days in late Oct for a wedding at the Shangri-la (staying the first few days at Mana). Can anyone tell me which is a better room to stay in for a couple? I know the resort is very family and kid friendly so would like to stay somewhere away from the kids maybe near the adult pool. From some of the reviews is it the lagoon view room closest to the kids pool and club?

Also is it worth while getting the meal plan? I've heard meals are quite expensive. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

The ocean view rooms are closest to the adults only pool and this section is much quieter..

The lagoon view rooms are closer to the main area of action (pools, kids club etc)

I would go ocean view room if possible..

Edited: 5:31 pm, April 07, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

I agree with eelietia, Ocean view rooms are in a much quieter section of the resort. The views are also uninterrupted across the lawn and out to the reef! The other benefit is that you are closer to the lovely Chi Spa!

Enjoy!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Ocean View Rooms for sure.

They are much, much quieter than the Lagoon View and close to the Coral Pool, which usually has less kids in it!!

Nola :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

I would go an Ocean View Room. In saying that though we have to stay in an OVR as we have 3 children and are not able to stay in a Lagoon Room so, you will get kids in that area. The adults only pool is nice though and will get you away from the general hustle and bustle.

We have been with and wothout the meal plan and will definately get it again when we go back. The onlt difference is we wouldn't include lunch. By the time you roll out of bed and go to the buffet for brekkie you really don't need lunch especially if you are busy with activites or just lazing about.

If you add the dinner to your stay you will get to eat at the Lagoon Buffet for no extra (unless you order drinks - soft drink is free) and you get a $70 credit to use in any other restaurant. I have copies of their menus (sent about 3-4 weeks ago) if you want to send me a private message with your email I can forward them to you and that will give you an idea of food prices :)

Kel <3

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Great! Sold!! Ocean view room it is!! We don't mind if there are a few kids around, i think we'll live :) Thanks for the advice everyone!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Just returned from Fijian - 2 weeks relaxing in the sun.

Location is great, staff lovely, beds comfortable but accomm is a bit hit and miss and food not up to Melbourne standards. Lots of activities and Ocean pool is good -not as busy. note only snorkel, kayak and catamaran free for short hire. Also free try scuba in the pool daily. All motorised extra charge. Banana boat, para sailing(we loved this), snorkel and scuba tours, etc.

Adult buffet dinner F $90 in Lagoon Restaurant - disappointing and often ran out of some food at second sitting - eg roast meat on the roast night, teens and children cheaper. F$95 menu in Kalevu over 16 only (better but not Melbourne quality) Book a fire dance night or fire walking as includes dinner and entertainment for about the same price - we went twice. Room service reasonably priced.

Definitely choose an Ocean View room or if you can afford it the Spa Bures (Ocean Bures) are by far the best. Coral wing has also just had some work done on it and only reopened last week so may be better. If your room is not up to scratch - see the manager and ask to move as they are generally obliging. No other good hotels very nearby - Outrigger is better than Fijian(according to someone who relocated there as not happy with Fijian) but a bit far to travel if you are there for a wedding. Do not stay at the Gekko resort across the road from Fijian as this is backpacker quality and not near the beach.

Wedding chapel is beautifully situated and well maintained.

We did not find the kids a problem - even in school hols. You can get away from them as there are 3 pools and some adult only restaurants.

Would really recommend the Sigatoka River safari - go in the morning and expect to be back about 3pm so nearly a whole day tour.

I would not bother with South sea island (we went on the combi cruise) - no meke at lunch though advertised, not enough snorkeling equipment water clarity poor, and sausages definitely to be avoided. It is not really a cruise but is the island ferry service for the island resorts (snorkeling, etc better at Fijian - high tide best- and water sports all available). Better to get a day ticket on the boat if you want to see the islands and go to one of the nicer islands for the day.

I personally would not recommend car hire - roads are terrible/potholes everywhere and locals overtake even when dangerous. Local buses are very very basic - this would definitely be an authentic experience........Fiji is a developing country - the people are very welcoming but food, accomm and transport will not be as good as you experience at home. All that said you will have a good time and the 3 weddings we saw while at the resort all seemed to go well, the setting at the chapel is beautiful and the wedding parties all looked very happy.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

travir9,

Your information is very helpful to anyone looking to holiday at the Shangri La. Suggest you copy and post to a review for the Shangri La.

The following link is for posting a review.

tripadvisor.com/UserReviewEdit-g612493-d3021…

Edited: 9:22 pm, April 27, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Hi there,

We are going in August with 4 other families. We have decided not to go with the meal package. I agree with what you said about not feeling like lunch. I would appreciate a copy of the menu's please. Any more suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Maria

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Happy to send you a copy of the menus, just be aware that they are over a year old. You need to send me your email address in a private message.

BW :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shangri-la lagoon or ocean view room

Ooops sorry BW I beat you to it :) I forgot you had the menus too so I messaged "mmturnbl" with the copies I have! The Shangri La has been getting mixed reviews again!!! I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but it's a place I love. A work collegue went over Easter and I was interested to get her opinion - she had a great time :) :) <3

Kel <3