We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in February

Melbourne
11 posts
Save Topic
Weather in February

Hi everyone,

I have booked my holiday to Fiji and I am supposed to be going on the 21st Feb for a week and I will be staying at the Shangri la Fijian on Yanuca Island.

I have been watching the weather recently and its just shocking every day its heavy rain and thunderstorms.

Am I making a huge mistake going at this time of the year?

Has anyone been at that time of the year?

I am so worried

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much in advance

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in February

Hi

I usually go to fiji in February but stay on Mana island. Feb is humid and may rain in the evenings/day but usually doesn't last too long. You still have a few weeks to go and I think it'll clear up for you! I always used to worry in advance about the weather and then upon arrival, was pleasantly surprised. In Feb 07 we arrived just at the end of a stint of bad weather but it cleared up soon after. I was also there in Sept 07 but this time stayed at Crows Nest (coral coast) on the mainland. The heavy rain didn't stop for 3 days or so but then it was fine. And as it's a small resort there was absolutely nothing to do in bad weather.

My advice is don't worry. If the weather ain't too good, there'll be plenty of activities at the fijian- you'll have a fun time.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in February

It's the rainy season and probably the second hottest and most humid month of the year. The sun is directly overhead and devastating. Yes there are better months. Be prepared.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
209 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in February

I was just in Fiji from mid-November thru the end of December - going into the hot wet season! Yes it was hot at times, but that's when you go for a swim to cool off... yes there were thunderstorms, but as was said above, they are brief, and besides, provide a welcome relief from the sun. To me, the stormy skies actually make for more dramatic scenery, not to mention the incredible sunsets! I even got a cyclone during my last visit - not a problem! What I'm saying is, I wouldn't worry too much about it... it's the tropics, it's always fairly warm and humid anyways.... just pack a good sunblock and enjoy Fiji!

Melbourne
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in February

Hey,

thanks for your promt replies.

Your advice has made me feel a little bit better. I am not the least bit concerned about the heat and the strong sun. I absolutely love the heat which is why I am going to Fiji so I can enjoy the lovely sunshine. My concern was about the rain and thunderstorms, which I thought may affect the holiday.

Thanks once again you have all ben most helpful

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in February

I don't get the loving heat mentality. Dancer, you're actually happier when it's 36 rather than say 29? You want the sun to be a hammer rather than soothingly warm? To each his own. As for the rain, hope you don't get much, that I totally understand. Pub

san diego
Level Contributor
140 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in February

I just got back from Fiji a couple of weeks ago. I to had people tell me not to go in January because it is the worst time of year to go. I had the best vacation of my life. It rained one afternoon for two hours and we played beach volleyball through the whole thing. Don't worry, Fiji is great!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in February

You were lucky and it's still not the best time. as for the vacation of your life, I'm not surprised, it's a great place.

8. Re: Weather in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 18, 2009