We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Hello everyone

Excited about our 1st Fiji trip.

Staying in Denerau 1 night, then down to Ono Island for 5 days. Then back to Nadi and over to Blue Lagoon Beach REsort in the Yasawas. Question.....Is is safe to store extra luggage at the Nadi airport for 5 days while we are at Ono Island? Or, should we pay for the extra luggage and keep it all with us? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
195 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Hi LauraA81624,

We have used the storage at the airport a number of times with no issues. Very helpful and efficient staff, and you must have your passport to check your luggage in and to collect it. No problems at all.

Safe travels,

Cindy

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Thanks Cindy.

I should have asked about the cost.

Anyone know?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Hi Laura,

The following link has the prices for storing luggage.

www.airportsfiji.com/lougagge_storage.php

Coming from the states you will need an adapter angled for Australia. We also take a power converter and small power strip. Allows us to charge more than one battery at the same time. Suggest purchasing alcohol at the duty free shop at the airport in Nadi for having drinks in your room/bure. Another option would be to have your driver stop at one of the markets on the way to Denarau. We can't purchase our brand of choice in Fiji, so take the amount allowed by customs in our checked luggage. The following has other suggestions of what to bring with you. Thought it would be helpful as this is your first trip to Fiji.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this information.

If anyone else has suggestions/tips/ideas.....PLEASE post them.

Thanks again.

Laura

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Glad to help, Laura.

If you are taking a cab from the airport to/from Denarau, you will need FD. Price should be around 30FD. Be sure to confirm the price before getting in. We exchange money at the Western Union office near the baggage claim area at the airport in Nadi. Get a better rate than at LAX.

Tipping is not recommended in Fiji. That said, most resorts have a Christmas fund you can contribute to, if you chose. The money collected during the year is then distributed between all the staff.

Recommend Sunday church visits (even if you aren't a regular church goer), a very moving experience, and village/school tours. The smiles and laughter of the children will melt your hearts. The link I posted has suggestions of what to take, though it is not required. Anything you take will be greatly appreciated more than you know. They have so very little. Should you want to purchase souvenirs at a village, will need FD in small bills.

Take some space bags, or large zip bags for your swimsuits. Will keep your other clothes in your suitcase from getting damp and musty. Ours never seem to dry out.

You might also take a travel clock. Have never stayed at a resort that had clocks in the bures.

If you plan on hiking, take tennis shoes. Sandals won't cut it

Hope this helps. Enjoy your countdown till you arrive in Paradise. Am sure you will have an amazing time, and fall in love with Fiji and its people. Don't be surprised, if you find yourself planning a return turn trip on your flight home. We were. :)

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

MORE good tips, thanks again E & C. I wondered about where to exchange money :)

Travel clock...wasn't on list!

Daughter and I are already gathering up items for the village, and an orphanage in Nadi.

KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING, EVERYONE !

21 days and counting.

Laura

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

Laura - BLBR have a collection box for good used bras which they distribute to the women in the 4 villages on Nacula Island. Much appreciated if you have some to donate.

You won't have to buy bottled water there - they have filtered water on tap at the bar, good idea to have a water bottle to refill there and have in your villa.

I take a folding umbrella to use as a sunshade as well as use in case of showers.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

I always take one of those plug in insect repellent devices with plenty of spare strips to go in it. Also if you're planning on doing any day trips it's a good idea to pack a couple of microfiber towels. I take them regardless since the dry so much more quickly than the towels that your accommodation is likely to supply you with.

Don't forget to pack a torch (lol, flashlight in American) and my latest additions to my 'take with us' list are a plug in night light (nothing worse than stumbling around in the dark in a strange place wondering who moved the bathroom) and a portable luggage scale so that we don't get any nasty surprises re the weight of our bags at check in on the way home. I bought a cheap one but it does the trick and you can change the setting to get a temperature read out which is quirky but fun to know when you're sure that the official temperature is 'melt down' and you really want to know so that you can brag to your friends back home. ;-)

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

more good suggestions, Thanks Ladies.

Grand Junction...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Storing Luggage.....Safe?

What about snacks? Should we stop at a grocery store in Nadi and grab some snacks to take down to Ono Island? Just thinking our 13 year old daughter might need something extra.