We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aud to fjd

Gorokan, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
aud to fjd

We went to Fiji 2 yrs ago & stayed at the Hilton in Denaru. Because we had other adults staying with us in our 3 bed apartment, it was easier for us to pay by cash (FJD) for our drinks & food at the resort.

But when my husband & I stayed at the Sheraton in June last year, all their food outlets & bars were cashless, we had to bill it all back to our room which was fine as were only staying four nights & it was just us. We settled our room charges daily by cash at the end of each day, so that we didn't have to go through a huge bill at the end of our stay.

We are going back to the Sheraton in 3 weeks, & are wanting to do the same as we did in june, by paying with cash at reception at the end of each day to settle our bill. My question is, where is the best place to exchange AUD to FJD????

How do you pay your way over there, would love some tips? We are also travelling with our parents who do not have credit cards....

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aud to fjd

I have found that the best place to exchange money is in Nadi town. I use Lotus Foreign Exchange in the main street of Nadi who I find give the best rate. If you use credit cards to pay for accommodation etc you will incur a surcharge of between 3% and 5% Most resorts have safes so security of the cash is not a problem. .

Gorokan, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aud to fjd

Thanks! Have you ever exchanged AUD at the ANZ bank at FIJI airport?

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aud to fjd

No I haven't.

Edited: 9:22 pm, February 11, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,130 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aud to fjd

The rates at Nadi airport are quite ok, (unlike Sydney Airport). Unless you are actually planning a trip into Nadi town, by the time you pay to get there & back, it will negate any savings you make in the rate.

I usually change over a few hundred at the airport, then use the ATMs at Denarau-I think there's a Westpac one at The Sheraton, as well as a branch at The Marina. You will get slugged at least $5 for using the ATM, so obviously don't get small amounts out often.

My best tip is dont stress about it too much. People get so offended by bank charges, & end up spending more money, & wasting time trying to get a better rate, when in the grand scheme of things it works out to be a couple of dollars.

Anni

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aud to fjd

As a guide to ATM charges, when we were there in May last year the ANZ ATM at the airport charged $7.50FJD for a withdrawal on my St George Visa Debit card.

At the Westpac at the Denarau Marina I was charged $8.00 FJD for a withdrawal.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: aud to fjd

Hi Tracy,

I'm the sort of person that likes to have the money in his pocket before he goes so in that regard I always change over cash with Australia Post. I have always found the exchange rate good but I have never compared it with others.

It is a personal choice. The one thing I do do is ensure that I have a lot of low denominations of FJD's so that if we go to a market on an island we are not dropping $50 notes on them and I can change some notes for the other guests if the need arises.

I also always allow $20 FJD per day for the staff. Where we stay they have a staff Christmas Box and the money goes in there and is divided amongst the staff at Christmas. This is in lieu of tipping because you may tip one of the front of house staff but miss out on the kitchen staff. I should also add that I have been to a resort where I only paid the bill and nothing extra and I have not and will not go back to that resort again!

Hope this helps

Baz

Kilcoy, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: aud to fjd

this YouTube video will help you out with money exchange options at Nadi Airport

fijitraveltips.com/fiji---money-exchange-at-…

we found the best rate was at the Western Union kiosk at the Nadi Airport

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
267 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aud to fjd

We normally exchange our aud in nadi airport at the ANZ booth thing for us it's easier to do it when we land as we then have a three hour drive to our resort and saves us having to do it the next day we have always been happy with the exchange rate and to me if your happy with the rate then that's all that matters

SYD-AUST
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: aud to fjd

can you exchange cash from AUD to FJD at both the ANZ bank and Western Union Kiosk at the airport, or are they ATM still setups where you withdrawn FJD from your bank account

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
426 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: aud to fjd

You can exchange cash or use an ATM.

I looked back at my statements from last year and it was $9 FJD ATM (ANZ) charge at the airport.