We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denarau Island - Which resort?

Melbourne
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Denarau Island - Which resort?

Hi there,

My family and I are planning to go to Denarau Island for 10 days in June.

We have a 2 year old that loves the beach and the swimming pools.

My wife and I like snorkeling and diving.

Here are the questions:

- Which resort would you recommend?

- I heard that the beaches in Denarau are not that nice. Which beach would be the best?

- Some of the resorts (Sheraton) offer free entrance to other resorts. Would this be worth it?

- Are there organized kid activities for 2 years old?

Thanks and regards,

Dani

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

If you are up for a bit more adventure and seeing that your daughter is only two, I can honestly recommend the Yasawa Islands. They are accessible by either boat or seaplane.

You just need to do some homework on which Island to choose, your budget regarding seaplane or boat and whether or not any of the family gets seasick.

I found it so much nicer and more like you would think of Fiji if you'd never been before. Look at Octopus it's about a 2 and a half hour trip. The boat itself is a large catamaran operated by South Sea Cruises and leaves Denaru Port at 8.30am daily. It's nice just relaxing, weather permitting, on the deck, watching the Islands that the boat stops at to drop off and pick up passengers.

Castaway is lovely, great for kids also. It's a different group of Islands, the Mamanucas but you still access it the same way by the boat at Port Denaru. It's about an hour and a half trip there.

Good luck deciding.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

Hi, Denarau isn't that bad! So many families enjoy it and go every year. Maybe split your time on an island and then Denarau. The beach isn't the best there but the pools are good and you have a choice of restaurants. I like the Fiji beach resort and spa and the Sofitel. Both are lovely hotels. Plenty of islands to choose from as the others have suggested.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,162 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

10 nights at Denarau would be too many for me. I can get the same experience in Australia. The white sand if any ends at the water where the dirty grey sand starts. A hotel room is just that rooms off a long corridor. Coral Coast resorts have the white sand beaches and a Fijian feel about them. Yes you can do day trips from Denarau but these are not cheap so it is sometimes better to pay a bit more and go to an island. At least spend some time on an island and some at Denarau so you can get the best the mainland and the islands have to offer. We are all different and like different things this is just my opinion.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

Denarau is not bad if what you want is a completely fake Fiji experience.

We have done both and nothing compares to the real Fiji.

First Landing in Latouka was the best experience with a 2.5 year old and 12 year old.

They loved both our girls and the little one wandered around freely with all the staff looking after her and we felt like family.

Melbourne
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

Thanks a lot for all the answers!

It’s very useful to read so many points of view. :-)

At the end we have decided to go to Denarau and stay in the Radisson from where we’ll do a couple of day tours to some of the islands.

The main reasons were that we just want to relax in a top hotel resort and the convenience (near the airport and I guess the day tours will also be shorter from there). Hopefully our stay at the Radisson won’t disappoint us.

I Believe our 2 year old we’ll have lots of fun wherever we are being so young.

We’ll be there for 9 days so hopefully we’ll have time to experience a lot of relaxation time, fun with our son, Fijian islands experience and a little bit of the Fijian culture too.

We were in the Coral coast before (Outrigger in the lagoon) which we enjoyed and maybe we experienced a little bit more of the Fijian experience there.

The only concern we have now is that the weather in Fiji seems to be quite rainy at the moment. Hopefully it will get better.

Thanks and regards,

Dani

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
340 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

How easy is it to get to an outer island and what is the cost to get there?

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,566 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

Depends on the island/resort. Some can be reached by boat, helicopter, or plane. Others only by plane. South Sea Cruises have boat transportation to various outer islands. Times and prices are on their website. A few resorts like Navini supply their own transportation to/from the island.

http://www.ssc.com.fj

18. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:05 am, April 09, 2014
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

We have just returned from Denarau island and we loved it!!! Weather is lovely, even in the short bursts of rain it clears quickly!

The people are lovely, it is easy to get around (walk/ bus or bula bus) and if you want to see the 'REAL Fiji' as someone called it you can get on a yellow bus for $1 into Nadi but my opinion is you will quickly get back on the bus as we did not feel very welcome at all walking around the main town.

In reference to the beaches... We personally are not really beach people... but we found the area to be beautiful... and the pools in the resorts were so well set up for kids why on earth people would want to go in the ocean is beyond me ;)

We stayed at the Westin but I have friends that stay regularly at the Radison and they really love it. I believe you will have a wonderful trip, my mother has stayed at the outrigger and also the westin and loved both trips equally... the best thing about Denarau is you are so close to where all the day trips leave from!!!

Have a wonderful holiday

Viti Levu, Fiji
Level Contributor
62 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Denarau Island - Which resort?

Come on down to the Coral Coast - we will be happy to take you diving! The Fiji Hideaway Resort has one of the nicest white sand beaches here on the Coral Coast plus a new supermarket close by for all your drinks/snacks etc. See you soon!