We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what food to take

Which Denarau Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
65 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
what food to take

off to denerau 26th january. been told food is expensive to buy.

so what food should I take with me.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what food to take

Are you self catering or just want to take snacks etc?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
65 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what food to take

self catering and snacks

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what food to take

If you are self catering whilst the cost of some goods might seem higher bear in mind the exchange rate. There is no point in taking a lot of groceries from home. I would just take what you cant get in Fiji at a reasonable price i.e. tinned salmon, various types of tinned tuna, vegemite, milo, chocolate sweet biscuits etc. Others will add to the list.For snacks take chips savory biscuits, cheese muesli bars etc.

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what food to take

If you can give an indication what day/time of the week you are arriving can steer you in the direction of large supermarkets for purchase of food/snacks/alcohol at cheap prices, on the way to your Denarau resort. At these establishments you will be able to purchase fresh fruits, vegetables - no problem as long as your arrival is not late on a Sunday. Basically any tinned food, vacuum packed products (like cheese), biscuits, noodles, snacky packets, dried soups, coffee can be taken into Fiji. Fresh or packed meats, chicken, vegetables or nuts/seeds are prohibited. Pack all in your suitcases which go into the aircraft hold - not in your hand luggage and declare your list of foods on arrival forms into Fiji. They 'may or' may not' want to look at all your items. There are two supermarkets at Port Denarau but will be a bit more expensive than a local Fiji supermarket. There is a Bula bus from Denarau hotel areas into Nadi town itself ($1-00 per person) - this gives you the opportunity to shop in Nadi town during your stay, visit the produce markets and the likes of Morris Hedstrom supermarket stores (weekdays).

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what food to take

We are heading to Fiji on the same day... Maybe see u on the flight. :)

There are lots of supermarkets in Nadi, I can buy grocery and drink there. Price is similar to nz. Also there is a very good breakery shop at Denarau.

6. Re: what food to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 22, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Denarau Island