We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheraton resort denarau island

Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Sheraton resort denarau island

Sheraton resort and spa is closed from 17th -21st of December due to damage. Does anyone know any info on this we are due to fly out 23rd December.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

Hi Amy, we are due to arrive at Sheraton on the 22nd. I was not aware of them closing till 21st. My travel agent contacted them today and were told that normal cancellation fee is likely to apply if we cancel our stay. But they told him to call them back again tomorrow to confirm so I will keep you updated tomorrow.

Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

Thanks.

We actually read it on their website under announcements.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

From the resort's website.

Special Conditions

CLOSURE DUE TO TROPICAL CYCLONE EVAN

The Sheraton Fiji Resort is currently closed and not accepting any new bookings. Existing bookings will be honored and date changes will be accepted without penalty for arrivals between December 16 - 21, 2012. Travel can be amended to new dates up until April 2013, subject to the availability of rates and inventory on the new dates. The change of dates must be made prior to the booked arrival date and cancellations will not be permitted without penalty. For more information, please contact the resort directly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

My concern is they are closed to NEW bookings, which suggests that they are not fully operational and we are very concerned because we are travelling with children.

We also arrive Sunday 23rd and we too were told normal cancellation fees apply should we cancel.

Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

I agree with young children it does pose a worry but give it till Friday then ring travel agent airline and hotel. You will be better informed after that

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

Bula

Thank for your email and concerns. Denarau was hit bad and we have had to close our sister resort The Westin Denarau Resort & Spa.

At the moment we are running on fuel generators, Fiji Electricity Authority is working around the clock to restore power to the country, however due to the extensive damages sustained to their power lines, this may take some time.

I will be able to give you an update on the swimming pools etc either tomorrow or the next day. We are hoping to have the resort back to full operation by the weekend.

Our staff will appreciate your visit but understand that you have young children and are hesitant to travel.

I am sorry I am not able to give you a definite update on the pools but our kids club is up and running and I will let you know as soon as the pools are good to go!

Vinaka!

Not sure this helps but this is the update from the Hotel. They posted on Facebook they are nearly 100% operational again, just depends on Fiji power. Someone staying there said they are without hot water but they do have water!

Rotorua, New Zealand
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

We are due there 30th dec but our travel agent has changed our hotel all together denerau is a mess! running on generator power? Roads and grounds are a mess water contamination poses a problem with sickness etc the harbour is all stirred up with debris it's certainly not going to be the post card holiday we had planned and paid for.... Only bookings arriving between the above dates will be eligible for cancelation refund all other bookings prior made like ours are eligible to rebook at no extra cost (based on their availability) up untill April 2013.

My advise is to try go somewhere else for now.

Canberra, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

I understand and agree somewhat with your concerns. I am a Fijian who, except for the last couple of years lived in Fiji all my life. Walking into a post-cyclone area has its risks - in the hot December climate waterborne diseases, dengue fever-bearing mosquitoes etc do tend to flourish. One has to be very careful. I would recommend drinking bottled water, using insect repellants etc. I guess its all about factoring in all the risks and being prepared for the worst. Alternatively, you could consider booking into another resort that suffered less damage. These are mainly on the southern side of Viti Levu. You might want to look at availabilities on the Coral Coast etc. All the best

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

Just wanted to say, that the Sheraton have put photos up on facebook of the hotel post TC Evan. They have done a fantastic job and are ready to welcome guests again.

They are still waiting for power to be connected, until then pools are not operational and neither are TVs, aircons and phones. Theya re very hopeful that by the ned of today, power will be restored.

From my liason with management, they are eager to greet guests and get back to normal. Sadly their sister resorts The Westin & The Villa's did sustain more damage, so they may take a few weeks to be fully operational again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheraton resort denarau island

We decided to go tomorrow. We could had changed the date for both resort and flight without any fees but after seeing the photos of Sheraton put on their Facebook site and seeing some of people's comment we are confident we'll still have a great time! We also want to help Fijians to recover from cyclone. Merry Christmas everyone!!!