We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

Hi, Can anyone recall the prices of NZ Sav Blanc's, or Aussie whites... am wondering about buying some for our room, as I don't drink much else. Sounds like from reading on here there is the option to pack it in the check in luggage on the plane as well? Is the only problem with that potential for breakage... (is it legal to bring in declaring as Duty Free?)

Thank you!

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

I can't tell you the prices but can tell you duty free is cheaper than any place on the islands. We packed 2 bottles of wine in our suitcase because they were special. When we arrived in duty free, we bought some beer. No one seemed to care how much alcohol was brought into the country or how much you bought at the duty free.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,525 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

E-mail Tappoos for what they carry and prices. They were very prompt in answering our questions.

info@tappoo.com.fj

It is legal to take the amount of alcohol allowed by customs in checked luggage. Be sure to declare it.

To protect against breakage, Wrap in a bubble bag then seal in a space bag.

Personally, wouldn't take over the amount allowed. Wouldn't want to take the chance of it being confiscated or us being fined. There are markets on the way to Denarau. Your driver will be happy to stop so you can pick snacks, alcohol, etc.

Hope this helps.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

As one wine drinker to another I can share that I've done some research into this (very serious lol) matter. The bottom line is that wine is an import product for Fiji so the prices can be quite shocking, especially if you're purchasing directly from some resorts. The issue is though that you are quite limited in how much wine you can take with you (free of duty), 6 bottles per person I believe. That's not a lot if you're going for two weeks as we are. So our solution will be to purchase duty free spirits instead (a few G&T's sound about right for the tropics) and limit our wine consumption to maybe a glass or two with meals. I might force down the odd cocktail or two as well. ;-) I predict many afternoon siestas!

If you're there for a shorter time it might be worth taking your favorite NZ Sav Blanc carefully packed in your luggage (obviously declared and only up to your allowable limit)... we won't enter into further discussion of the 'other' wine you mentioned. ;-)

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

HAHA! I was grasping at emergency measures Dianz!

Thanks - it sounds like I will pack just a couple of bottles in the luggage as will be MUCH cheaper here for quality I know I like. I'm sure I'd like to have some drinks at the bar/pool/restaurant too, so, as those won't be our BYO then I won't need too much in the room (my bloke will be keen on the beer am sure which we'll pick up there). I do find when it's hot that it reduces my want to intake as much wine as in colder Wellington anyway... and who wants a hangover in the heat!

But I'll email Tappoos and post what I find out. Thanks!

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

If you only want to take a couple of bottles then you're probably better off to purchase them from NZ duty free prior to leaving for Fiji. You can pre-order the brand you like and have it waiting for you at the airport duty free. The only problem is that I have vague notion that Wellington is limited in duty free stores but you'll be coming through Auckland first I think so that shouldn't be a problem. Apart from anything else "practicing" your duty free shopping prior to actual travel is heaps of fun!

Please, yes, I'd love the info re prices from Fiji duty free when you get them, I'm sure others will appreciate it too.

Re the beer, again I have this funny feeling that the boat to Malolo Lailai Island doesn't allow you to carry on boxes of beer but you may be able to purchase beer from The Trader shop (Musket Cove Resort) a short walk away up the island (there's also a cheap boaties/resort bar there where you can reward yourself for your cunning knowledge of the island prior to returning to Plantation).

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
305 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

We go via Wellington direct on the new (i think) direct flights.

They emailed back right away (very helpful) with these prices and I will take my own or check NZ Duty Free good idea. Yes we read about hiding the booze on the boat which is fine as will be packed and good reminder on the beer or we'll simply go to Musket - perfect! Dangerous taking my partner to the boaties place as he is one...!! I may have to leave him there (or take a book and jump in one of their hammocks!)

Back to the wine prices from the very helpful Tappos duty free, info@tappoo.com.fj

Starting from the flash options:

Bubbles:

Perrier Joyet - FJD$160.95

Piper Heidsieck – FJD$105.95

NZ Pelorus (bubbles) - FJD$72.95

Deutz – FJD$61.95

Jacob Creek’s Sparkling Rose - FJD$25.95

I asked for white but they only gave me red prices which is fine as you get the idea...

NZ Pinot Noir:

Montana – FJD$29.95 (6 for FJD$159.00)

2009, 2010, 2011

Aussie:

Jacob’s Creek Reserved Pinot Noir 2009 – FJD$33.00

Thanks everyone.

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,591 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

They have do it yourself BBQ's up there too if you want a different food option. You pre-order your BBQ pack of choice and then cook it on the wood BBQ's located in the Island Bar area (have a look on Google maps and you'll see where I mean) they supply crockery, cutlery etc and you can buy salads. Could be a good evening if they have interesting people in, you might even get offered a bit of free sailing if you're lucky. When are you booked to go? It would be too funny if it turns out to be the Musket Cove Regatta week.... you'll never get him away from the place! Not to worry, they have a very nice pool which they appear to be fine with anyone using.

8. Re: Wine in the duty free in Fiji airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 14, 2013