We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Which Denarau Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Hi all,

First time to Fiji for my birthday this September. I am travelling with my mum ( also the first time we have been away together)

We have only five nights (flight arrives at 1:00pm on the 20th and doesnt depart until 8:00pm on 25th)

Due to availability and our budget we are looking at spending five nights on Plantation Island ( with the beautiful Beach)

Or alternatively, five nights at Fiji Beach Resort, Sheraton Resort Denarau or Westin resort Denarau.

I guess we either have the nice beach and average accommodation and food - or have no beach, but enjoy a higher standard of accommodation and the pools.

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

Melissa

Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Sheraton denarau is great but everything you buy to eat and drink- will have the taxes on top of everything- never included! Same as westin as they are part of the same complex! I would go plantation if you could- if you stay at denarau more opportunity for day trips but more expensive!

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Plantation Island Resort is on Malolo Lailai Island, where there are two other resorts, so you wouldn't have to eat at PIR.

You could eat at Musket Cove Resort, or adults only Lomani Resort. There's also Anandas Restaurant near the airstrip, and MCR has the Coffee Cove at the marina, and Island Bar for BBQ's, as well as their main restaurant. Food at Flametree at Lomani is very good. Both are a much better standard than PIR and much better food.

enjoy your planning LTB

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Hi Melissa,

I'd go with an Island stay over Denarau any day.....

Also have a look at Treasure and Amanuca Resorts which might suit as well.

Contact the resort you chose directly and see what deal they offer.

Hope you have a lovely birthday in Fiji.

Julie ^^

Coomera, Australia
Level Contributor
255 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

+1 for Plantation. So much better experience out on a real island.

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
229 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Thanks everyone :)

Have decided we will head out to an island. Still checking out deals and will lock something in this week.

YAY - looking forward to it.

Melissa

Waitakere City, New...
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

Hi Melissa, I'm curious as to what sort of budget you're thinking of. Yesterday I saw an add for Plantation and, just out of curiosity, did a price comparison with Navini Island Resort (we're staying there later this year). Turns out that if you want the same type of accommodation (bure on the beach) and taking into consideration food and transfers Navini was substantially cheaper- not to mention that all day trips costs are covered on Navini along with water sports equipment. Originally we had an 8pm flight out and I was also swayed by the fact that they allow you to stay on the island until 5pm at no extra charge.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it as people sometimes don't know about Navini as it's not widely advertised.

7. Re: First time Fiji - September - Denarau or Plantation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 26, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Denarau Island
Recent Conversations