We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

My husband and I are staying at Hilton Fiji Beach Resort, Denarau Island in July and we want to do one or a couple of day trips to the islands for WHITE sand and snorkelling but WITHOUT the crowds (ie. Backpacker/Contiki tours) taking up all the islands.

Can anyone suggest a fantastic island, easy to get to for a day trip, great snorkelling, white sand and less "tourists" than other islands?

Thanks

Darwin
Level Contributor
8 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

First off avoid Bounty and Beachcomber - they are full on backpacker islands. I'd also scrub the standard Denarau day island tour unless you want to share an intimate experience with 100 others.

Contact the First Landing Resort (its half an hour's drive from Denarau but they have their own mini buses) - speak to Ben if you can. Book a day trip on the Alexander. Its a 25 foot cruiser run by Lai, a Fijian local. We got him to take 5 of us to Castaway, Mololo and Plantation Islands and it was the best day of our lives (and it was only last week!). Lai charged the 5 of us $150 Fj each - 5 people is his minimum or you will need to pay extra to have the boat to yourself.

Castway is just gorgeous. Postcard beautiful. The 25 footer can pull up anywhere and get you on the beach with only your feet getting wet.

Walu Beach on nearby Mololo is a good stop for fish feeding from their jetty and Plantation was where we had lunch.

If you only wanted one stop, I'd pick Castaway. Lai can pull up for you to explore the island or simply stop over the reef for you to snorkel - that's the beauty of it - you're free to do whatever you feel like!

NZ
Level Contributor
75 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

We did a day trip to Treasure Island. Gorgeous White Sand and quite good snorkelling and not too many people at all BUT we were SOO disapointed in the resort and the food at Treasure Island. It was honestly digusting! I was pregnant at the time and did not want to eat anything from the included lunch which was a buffet and was actually displayed outside in the heat and swarming with flies. The restaurant has no view at all and you seriously feel like you are on a school camp! The resort was awful!

I have been on a day trip to Malolo Island before which was much much nicer. Gorgeous restaurant for lunch, lovely white sand beaches and great snorkelling. The resort was not crowded either. I have also heard Castaway is good but know that it is a very popular resort so may be busier.

I would also avoid bounty, beachcomber etc and pretty much any day trip that includes beer & wine as they are full of people just here for the free booze! We were so relieved when about 20 teenagers on our boat got off at bounty!

Western Australia
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

We are also going to stay at the Hilton Fiji Spa and Beach Resort in July. Leaving next Wednesday 16 July 08 and arriving early hours of the 17th from WA we were also hoping to do something similar i.e. visiting Castaway Island. The idea of the boat that someone posted sounds fabulous. We hope to snorkel and enjoy time without crowds so hopefully we all get to enjoy those activites. Enjoy it and have a great stay, we may see you there.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,301 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

I would have had you skip the main island and spend your holiday at a outer island resort, but that's me. Matamanoa has a small occupancy but I don't know if they accept day trippers. Agree on Beachcomber and Bounty, they would be crowded. Navini has fantastic snorkeling and is a postage stamp of an island. Once again do not know if you could visit.

5. Re: Anyone recommend a day to a Fiji Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, September 28, 2009