We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off the beaten path camping

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Off the beaten path camping

Hello Everyone!

My fiance' and I will be in PR for an entire week and would like to spend our last night camping on the beach, on the east coast of the island. This last day also coincides with Holy Week (March 27th).

I'm used to half day hikes into the mountains and camping in the middle of nowhere. The more remote, the better.

Is off the beaten path, secluded, beach camping completely out of the question in PR? I've seen a few "designated" campgrounds on the east, (Seven Seas, Luquillo) but I almost despise this type of camping...

I really want to take my chances, around dusk, and drive around the Fajardo/Rio Grande/Luquillo area and find a spot on the beach in the middle of nowhere and set up shop.

Am I going about this wrong??? Must I suck it up and camp at a designated spot on a potentially busy beach?

What would you do???

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off the beaten path camping

You'd be better off going to Culebra Island and camping out at Flamenco Beach. There will not be many people there. Taking chances after dusk in PR is not a good idea.

Edited: 7:02 pm, February 17, 2013
Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off the beaten path camping

Thanx PR as always!

We are camping on Flamenco a couple days earlier...

So I should probably stick to designated camp sites where there are other people just in case. Gotcha! I can handle my own but would rather not have any fisticuffs!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
3,009 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off the beaten path camping

I would call Parador Caribbean Paradise. The Parador is 1 block of the beach, but the owners sister has a place right on the beach that is in front of the parador. They have their own security so they can listen or just check in every once in a while. Its a fairly remote place. but nice beaches and the parador has a 3 meal a day restaurant. You can also just bike down to the local bakery and grab something.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off the beaten path camping

I would stick to designated areas. At least the authorities know these areas exist and there is some accountability. I don't think the Seven Seas campsite would be crowded at this time of the year. The beach there is one of the loveliest in PR IMO.

There are also a number of state parks in the moutains that have campsites.

Edited: 8:37 am, February 18, 2013
Boston...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Off the beaten path camping

Seven Seas is very nice except for the weekend. It is becoming rundown but in the off-season I have not had to pay in quite a few years to camp there. In PR you can always count on rain and those nights can be hot and miserable with lots of bugs. Other than that it is a nice experience at the beach eating coconuts.

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off the beaten path camping

Seven Seas it is! Thank you all for your feedback!

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,100 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off the beaten path camping

Holy week is busy, busy. The kids are out of school. I believe that camping is only allowed at designated areas and some areas even needs to be permited. It's better to be save then sorry, IMO

Rincon, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
113 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off the beaten path camping

Can you confirm the dates of Holy Week? March 24th thru the 30th?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off the beaten path camping

March 23 - 31. However, March 22 is Emancipation Day (a holiday), so expect crowds also on the 22nd.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Off the beaten path camping

We spent a day @ Seven Seas beach earlier this month and loved it. It was not crowded at all, but then, we were there on a Wednesday. The nicest part of the beach was towards the right - away from the camping area. The only downside I did see was there was some glass on the beach that we had to avoid. We did go snorkeling there as well - not the best snorkeling, but since we were staying in Fajardo, it was easy to get to. Here is a video of our day spent there... www.youtube.com/watch…