We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

Irving, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

We will be staying at El Conquistador for 6 nights. We will not have a car. I assume we will need to taxi into Fajardo if we want to visit any other restaurants or go to a grocery store. I guess I am sort of stuck trying to figure out if paying cab fare will be worth leaving the resort? Any opinions?

Also, is Fajardo the kind of town you would go for a walk around and visit shops?

Are the tours booked thru the hotel good and reliable? Mainly, I think I want to visit Old San Juan and maybe the rainforest.

Lastly, we were thinking of taking our own snorkeling gear - does anyone know if El Conquistador allows you to take your own snorkel equipment on their private island?

We've never done any vacation like this before (always visiting family), so I am feeling overwhelmed. Thank you

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

Cabs are expensive in PR. Renting a car is the way to go. For an idea of cab fares in the tourists zones check the site below:

http://cabspr.com/

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,266 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

The transportation to the El Con will cost about $70 a person round trip. You can rent a car at the airport for half that per day. Parking is about $15 a night. Tours will be About the same per person, depending on what you do. Renting a car is the way to go. Being from Dallas the driving won't be bad. San Juan is a big city and has the congestion that goes with such. It is part of the US, so your license will be good and your car insurnace from home may cover you. Progressive does as does AAA. Plus the bigger credit card companies have that included in their annual fees. Strongly suggest you go with a rental car. It's about a 45 minute drive on a large 6 lane most of the time highway. That gives you the freedom of movement and allows you to do your own exploring. All the big rental car companies are there, so if you have any discounts you should be able to use them. Have fun.

Ann Arbor, Mich.
Level Contributor
447 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

I also recommend renting a car. Yes, you will pay through the nose to park at El Con, but it gives you a lot more freedom. There are plenty of restaurants on the property, but most are unexciting (though not necessarily bad), and you may find yourself wanting to get out. As others have pointed out, driving in the area is relatively simple, much like driving in any other metropolitan area.

The three times I've stayed there, I've seen people with their own snorkel gear at the beach, and it does not appear to be a problem.

As far as Fajardo, there is a charming old town square. We did not spend a lot of time there, and parking appears difficult, but you could certainly give it a try. Most of "Fajardo" is spread out and you'll need a car or taxi to explore the supermarket, other beaches, etc.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

You have chosen a remote location where a car is needed to get anywhere.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

Can't really answer your question about going into Fajardo. We were at Las Casitas for 3 nights. We used the tranportation provided by the resort ($70 per person, roundtrip) and we ate all our meals at the resort. Our package included credits, so that helped with the dining costs.

We used our own snorkeling equipment on Palomino Island.

We booked a rainforest tour through the resort, 9 am to 1 pm, moderate hiking, EXCELLENT Tour Guide ("Tour Guide" Edwin), $50 per person. We really enjoyed this trip.

Level Contributor
8,637 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

You do not NEED to rent a car to enjoy your stay at El Con or Las Casitas. I would highly recommend enjoying some dining off site at Pasion por le Fogon Farjado or Estacion just outside the property. We booked all transportation with Shawn Herrera at Luquillo Taxi 787 513 7685. I got his name from TA and he provides great service in a beautiful car at lower rates than the fixed price taxi service arranged by the hotel. We also used him for airport transfers...again less expensive and much nicer than a group transfer. I would also recommend checking into excursions on your own (in advance of trip) as hotel prices are really high and in some cases not the best quality. I am sure some are fine but I would check around.

Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

Fajardo is a relatively spread out town with the main shopping made up of K-mart, Wal Mart, CVS, Ralf;s (great supermarket), centered around Rt. 3. There is a local shopping area, but it has little of interest to visitors. This is one of the least walkable towns around. There are interesting destinations, restaurants, and attractions but you have to drive around to find them. Taxis are not practical unless you have a single specific destination like the supermarket. As said above, rent a car.

8. Re: QUestions about cabs, elcon, and Fajardo!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, June 19, 2013