We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stuck on hotel

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Stuck on hotel

I'm a little stuck. We arrive Friday morning, then stay until Sunday evening when our cruise leaves. I've decided upon the Sheraton for Saturday night, so we can walk right to the port on Sunday.

But I'm not sure about Friday. I'd like to do something in El Yunque or the Bio tour, which hotel is best for that location-wise? I'd like to do the motor boat tour for the bio bay, and I've heard East Island Excursions will do that, but I'm not sure where they'll pick up.

So far I have El Conquistador, Rio Mar, Gran Melia and Marriott. Thanks!!!

Mentioned in this post
East Island Excursions
East Island Excursions
1,736 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Armonk, New York
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stuck on hotel

El Con is right next to the Bio Bay and Rio Mar is closest to El Yunque with Gran Melia close by. The Marriott is in San Juan and not close to the attractions you are targeting. The only other option is the St Regis Bahia Beach which is also in the same vicinity, it is brand new and very $$$$$, but worth considering if money is no object.

Mentioned in this post
Rincon,PR
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stuck on hotel

You may also consider Passion Fruit Bed and Breakfast in Fajardo:

http://passionfruitbb.com/

Close to all you are looking for, Gladys has a Great Breakfast by the pool.Have a look at their reviews here on TA:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g612474-d610499…

Enjoy Puerto Rico to the Fullest!!

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Quincy
Level Contributor
95 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stuck on hotel

How are you getting around?

To get out to that area at El Yunque and Fajardo it really would pay to rent a car. The Passionfruit is a nice little place, nothing fancy or expensive. If you call and ask for a one night stay they should let you. We paid $119 for a night and were off to Vieques the next day.

Gladys will call you by your name as she serves you a great breakfast by the pool the next morning.

You could get your rental, hit up El Yunque hike to a couple of the waterfalls and then head over to Fajardo. Check in, find a dinner spot that will be open (not easy if you dont know where to look or what days places are open) and do the bio bay that night. Head back to San Juan drop off the car and explore San Juan that night before your cruise, you could also do El Yunque on the way back from Fajardo on Saturday as well. The hiking is pretty easy ( saw a woman in heels and another 7 months pregnant)

Just my $0.02

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stuck on hotel

Hi,

I'll check out Passion Fruit and the others. Thank you.

I'm not sure about doing El Yunque and biobay. We are going in May, will it be hot? Humid I'm sure, but super hot?

The biobay tour I'm looking at provides dinner.

Mentioned in this post
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stuck on hotel

P.S. - We are just going to taxi to the hotel and then taxi to the Sheraton the next day. I'm not wanting the added cost or headache of a car rental.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,452 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stuck on hotel

You could always stay at the Sheraton Old San Juan and just take a taxi to the hotel where they pick up. That way you avoid the hassle of having to change hotels every night. The trip to one of the pick-up hotels should only add maybe $15 or so more to the price of the bio-bay trip, and it's well worth it in my opinion to not have to worry about driving.

Also, they may not pick up at the Sheraton, but maybe they pick up somewhere else in Old San Juan? Old San Juan is pretty small, so you can either walk or take the trolley to the pick up point.

Mentioned in this post
Sheraton Old San Juan Hotel
Sheraton Old San Juan...
2,441 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Old San Juan
Old San Juan
14,165 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stuck on hotel

Funny, I was coming to this same conclusion. Just book 2 nights at Sheraton and then hopefully find a way to do the bio bay. It does look neat, I think we should see it. I found a good price on the Sheraton too.

I wrote East Winds to see if they'll pick up there. But yeah, we could taxi to the hotel they pick up at. I didn't realize Fajardo is so far from San Juan.

I'm still on the fence about going to Fajardo the first day and then OSJ the next. Hmph.

Mentioned in this post
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stuck on hotel

OMgoodness I found a way. Stay at Sheraton both nights and go thru Kayaking PR for the biobay. They pick up at all SJ hotels, including OSJ piers. Yay!

Thanks for all of your posts.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stuck on hotel

I am planning on staying at Passion Fruit Bed & Breakfast for a night. We plan on going to Vieques and Culebra and are staying in Fajardo for the proximity to the ferries -- plus we'll see El Yunque while we are in the area.

Factoring in the drive from San Juan to Fajardo and getting to and from El Yunque -- should we rent a car or just take cabs? I understand that the cab from San Juan to Fajardo is about $80, and I'm figuring the cab to the ferry will be fairly cheap, so I'm leaning toward taking cabs -- unless getting to El Yunque will be really expensive from Passion Fruit. Does anyone have any thoughts about what makes sense? We would just need the car for one day if we rented one -- driving from San Juan to El Fajardo and El Yunque and returning it somewhere in Fajardo before getting on the ferry..... not sure if doing that would be worth the hassle though -- or even save any money? Help appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
pa
Level Contributor
940 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stuck on hotel

If you plan on going back to San Juan consider renting a car, In Aug, we rented from Charlies drove down to Fajardo then flew out of Cieba to Vieques for 2 nights and just left the car parked for $8.50 a day. When we returned stopped at El Yungue before heading to SAn Juan and dropping off the car.It was just as cheap and we had more flexibility that way

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico