We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GPS work in PR?

Which Fajardo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
3 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
GPS work in PR?

I have a Garmin GPS. I am renting a car in San Juan and driving to the hotel in Fajardo. Should I be alright with my GPS unit, or do I need to rent one from the rental agency?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GPS work in PR?

A GPS will work anywhere. Sattelites (yes). You need to ask yourself if you have the correct maps on your GPS. Only you will know that.

Level Contributor
537 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GPS work in PR?

Garmin works fine, mainland and Vieques.

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GPS work in PR?

If you have the Canada & PR maps bundle or the PR map installed, it will work fine.

Minneapolis...
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GPS work in PR?

We brought our GPS with and used it to travel all over the island. We found it worked best in the more populated areas like San Juan and on the northeast coast (Fajardo area). On other parts of the island it worked fine generally but was more 'off' with specific directions. But it would always get us to the general area and we could figure it out from there. I imagine if you stay in the more populated San Juan and NE area, you'll be fine with your GPS.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
317 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GPS work in PR?

The GPS on my little iPhone 3GS worked as well!

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GPS work in PR?

It works fine. But if it is only for a trip from the airport to El Con, you don;t really need it. If you have an Iphone or blackberry, travel light and leave the Garmin home.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
14 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GPS work in PR?

I used a Garmin with newly updated maps to drive around the island.

somewhat unreliable even when taking major highways. Everyone told me

not to depend on GPS in PR as it was not reliable so I don't know if you'd be better off getting one from rental car company. of course they want you to use theirs. I also got a map from tourist office which was almost useless. Get directions from your hotel. We went to las croabas cement dock on PR987 in Fajardo for biobay tours and used the hotel directions from gran melia which were very good.

bbeerbower

Edited: 11:24 am, December 16, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: GPS work in PR?

I used Microsoft Streets and Trips in 2004 on a laptop and found it to be failrly accurate. We went all over PR, in the central mountains, sounth, Ponce, etc.

We are going back again in April, and polan on doing the same.

I would have to suispect that the Garmin maps should be better than Micorsofts.

The only issue I have run into is that address conventions seem to be different in PR, and probaqbly tou will spend time on the phone with your destination to make sure you are oriented correctly on the map...

9. Re: GPS work in PR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 03, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Fajardo