We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

Which Fajardo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

I was wondering if anyone could help me out my husband and I were considering going to puerto rico for our anniversary and staying at the el conquistador resort. After reading some mixed reviews, I figure I'll probably still take my chances. However I was wondering how easy it is to get from the resort to San Juan, to El Yunque Rainforesst, and also we really want to do some snorkeling while we're there that's really important. We're really into the beaches but also want to get out and see the island. How easy is it to get back and forth to these points from the hotel and also is it necessary to rent a car if we stay there? Any help would be great thanks! bnb88

upper marlboro, md
Level Contributor
493 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

You really need a car to get from El Conq to San Juan or other tourists spots like the rainforest or Old San Juan. It is very easy to drive to San Juan in about 45 minutes from El Conq. It's practically a straight line. I would definitely suggest staying at El Conq. It is beautiful, relaxing and you will love it. You can snorkel right off their beach or go on a snorkeling excursion on a boat that takes you to the best spot for snorkeling. They have that info at the concierge desk.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

2nd that about renting a car. Transportation itself is expensive to the resort, so a rental may pay for itself. Do your pricing now. If you have AAA or another discount option, you can save a lot. Also, there are some really good restaurants outside the ressort you may choose to eat at.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

Understand the PR is not small. It's the size of Conneticut and will take you a half day to go from one end to the other. Having a car give you great choices. Resort prices are high as they are at any resort. $5 for a coke $10 for a drink. You are within just a couple miles of shops, grocery stores, restaurants, Banks, Walmart, Etc. You can get a bottle of Rum for $10, Buy your beverages, snacks and save a bundle. We usually pack a softsided cooler and keep it filled with ice. Pick up some lunch meat at the grocery also for a picnic lunch. The El con does not allow you to take alcohol out to there private island. But there are ways! Boy that's strong Dasani!

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

Thanks for all the tips so far everyone. So is the el conquistador pretty close to el yunque rainforest?

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

from San Juan to Fajardo where El Conquistador is located is 1 hour and 15 minutes. You need a car.

From El Conquistador to the tropical forest El Yunque is around 20 minutes depending on traffic.

Puerto Rico has several regions, if you are in El Conquistador you are in the northeast region.

other regions in Puerto Rico: Capital city and metropolitan area/ Mountain Region/ Southern Region and second largest city of PR, Ponce/ Western Region and the island-park of Mona/ Islands of Culebra and Vieques

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

Where is the beaches of Culebra and Vieques Culebra looks really beautiful, is that very far away? Because I would definitely like to see that. Also , how clear is the water in Puerto Rico? And is the water very rough down there or is it easy to swim/ snorkel in it? This will be my first trip to the carribbean and I want to make sure this is the place for me. Thanks!

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

Culebra and Vieques are 2 islands east of the coast of Fajardo, you can travel to them on a ferry boat from the pier in Fajardo or you can fly from SJ. There is a lot of info on these 2 islands on this forum, look for their individual sections under the Puerto Rico forum.

the beaches in vieques and culebra are more clear than the ones in the mainland, specially those in Condado which are rougher and with a dark blue green.

Edited: 2:39 pm, April 21, 2010
PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

How much is a ferry from Fajardo to Culebra or Vieques?

San Juan
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

the cost is 2.25 each way and travel time is 1 hour or 1 30 minutes

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
7,916 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Conquistador Resort Puerto Rico

You can also fly from Ceiba which is about 15/20 minutes from teh El Con for about $25 each way. East Island Excursions also run a snorkeling trip to Culebra with a stop at Flamenco beach. They als off an evening trip to the Bio-Bay on Vieques. Lots to do and see.

Get answers to your questions about Fajardo