We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Conquistador - good deal?

Which Fajardo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
El Conquistador - good deal?

I came across a special advertising 4 night stays *including airfare* starting at $449. I put in my info - and sure enough, that is the price that came up including the airfare from Miami. I know you have to pay about $75 to get from the airport to the hotel and if you want to use the water park, that's another $20...... but how good of a deal is the $449 special price? Is the food incredibly expensive at the resort? Do they charge you to get to and from their private island? I see there isn't an actual beach at the resort. The last trip I took was to an all inclusive in Turks & Caicos so I'm just trying to get a feel for how much this $449 vacation will really end up costing! :) Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,050 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Conquistador - good deal?

Sounds like a great deal. The El Con is up on a cliff with a spectacular view. There are some beaches within a a couple miles that are very nice. The beaches though on the main island tend to be of a gold color. While the offshore island that the El Con has rented is one of those white sand beaches. Transportation is free and every half hour. It is very nice and for guests only. The resort prices are well resort prices. $5 for a coke. $10 hot dog. But Fajardo is right there with everything you need. Grocery stores, Walmart, Fast food, nice restaurants etc. You want a car. Parking is upwards of $20 a day, but that is the cost of 4 cokes at the resort. Hitting the grocery for beverages alone will more than pay for parking. Add to that the cost of meals and tours. Rent a car! Not everyone gets into fast food, but I am happy with a bucket from Churchs or KFC on the Patio. Hope this helps some.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
486 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Conquistador - good deal?

Hi,

I stumbled upon your post while looking for your photos of Beaches, Provo TCI. Not sure you are still considering this, but I would vote No. I was at the El years ago, so things may have changed, but when I went, the restaurants were very expensive and I didnt find the hotel to be customer/consumer friendly. Ex: At that time, not only did you have to pay to park, but you were only allowed 1 trip in-out. In other words, we went to the rain forest in the morning, came back to relax/shower. etc. and then went back out. When we tried to get back in to the resort, they wanted to charge us *again* because we had already "used" our in/out privilege for the day... what?!?... crazy!

The bigger issue and the reason I would not return is because there is no beach surrounding the property. In other words, the private beach that you shuttle to (yes, the shuttle was free) is amazing, but there is no beach (or wasn't when I went) on the hotel's side. So, you couldn't go for an after-dinner or moonlight stroll because there was no sand. You could view the water, but because of rocks, there was no beach to stroll. Two thumbs down and a deal-breaker for me.

I think the El is popular for conventions. That may explain the high prices (many guest are expensing) and may also explain your "deal"... look at what happened to AGI and the St. Regis (another super-expensive beauty!)

If I were you, I would pass. Sometimes things are cheap for a reason.

WV
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Conquistador - good deal?

You should read the reviews here on TripAdvisor about that hotel.

I read a few pages because we are staying next to there and got some great tips.

There was also a trip report on that hotel a couple of days ago.

4. Re: El Conquistador - good deal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 26, 2010