We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breakfast/coffee shops near El Con?

Kansas
1 post
Save Topic
breakfast/coffee shops near El Con?

My husband and I are staying at El Con in July - I have seen a lot of information about places to eat outside of the resort area, but they all look like lunch/dinner places. Are there any cafes or coffee houses to get an inexpensive breakfast near the resort? We really just want some good coffee and fresh fruit. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,228 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breakfast/coffee shops near El Con?

I can't really think of any coffee shops per say. Puerto Ricans love their Coffee and Puerto Rican Coffe is very good and served everywhere. Fresh fruit is also all over. Do you have a car?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breakfast/coffee shops near El Con?

Good question! I can't think of any place real close by.

But your best bet for the fruit would be to pick it up on the way to the hotel (it is not that usual to find tropical fruit on menus). The rooms come with (or they are available) mini- refrigerators.

Ask the hotel if they have coffee makers in the rooms.

Then you will be all set for your own breakfast in bed!

Round Hill VA
Level Contributor
79 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: breakfast/coffee shops near El Con?

I found the best fruit and widest selection at an open air store on Route 3 near the intersection of 191 (El Yunque Portal). It will be on the opposite of the road if you are coming from SJ and in a little strip mall next to a Mexican restaurant. Not only will they give you samples, the owner speaks English and the prices fair. You can also buy from the truck vendors along route 3 but mostly they had plantains when we were there in May. The produce in the chain grocery stores was rather sad although the lemons were excellent.

There are several panaderias along the roads in Fajardo and Las Croabas. I never had a bad pastry and some were excellent. We especially liked the stick shaped ones stuffed with cheese. The guava paste ones were way too sweet. No matter what time of day we often stopped to have a cafe con leche and pick up a couple of pastries for the next morning. The only other breakfast offering it most of these places is a ham sandwich.

Unfortunately the same chains that you see in Kansas are dominating the breakfast scene in PR, so plan to eat in your room with goodies that you bought on the road.

4. Re: breakfast/coffee shops near El Con?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, December 01, 2009