We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No snow yet? Is this normal??

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
UK
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
No snow yet? Is this normal??

I've been watching the weather forecasts for Lofoten as we go in just less than 3 weeks and it seems there's no snow at all yet in the parts we're going to. I was kind of hoping it would be really snowy there.

Is it normal for there not to be snow at this time of year? How likely is it that there will be snow in the next 3 weeks?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

It is normal and it is not. It varies a lot from year to year. Coastal areas tend to have less snow than inland. How it will be in 3 weeks' time is impossible to predict.

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

The Lofoten Island chain sticks far out into the north Atlantic which is warmed by the Gulf Stream and doesn't freeze, so the temperature will only rarely be cold enough for snow to settle and stay, at least at low level. There would normally be snow in the mountains in winter though, as you can see in the web cams now at www.yr.no .

Norway
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

Currently we have a very stable weather situation over Scandinavia that have peristed for most of January. There is a so called "Omega Block" situation (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_%28meteorology%29).

Because of the consistent wind directions the southernmost parts of Norway are getting lots precipitation, much more than normal, most of it as snow, while the rest of the country gets almost no precipitation at all. Several places in northern Norway have had zero precipitation so far in January. It looks like this will be the driest January for a hundred years in many regions, so it is an unusual situation indeed, but not unheard of. What is unusual is that it stays stable for so long.

Eventually the stable high pressure area over central Scandinavia will break down and the weather will change, but noone can tell when. According to the latest predictions not much will change in the next 7-10 days.

Oslo
Destination Expert
for Norway, Oslo
Level Contributor
10,616 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

A proper surface pressure weather map available here: metoffice.gov.uk/public/…surface-pressure.

Unfortunately the dry weather and wind has made ideal conditions for fires and there are currently hard-to-control ground fires in Flatanger and on the island of Frøya (not far from Trondheim) that have burned out whole villages. Doesn't seem to have made the news on BBC web pages though.

UK
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

Thanks for the replies.

That's awful about the fires, I hope they don't cause any more damage :-(

Still no sign of any break in the lack of precipitation. I guess the snow is just waiting until we arrive ;-)

Either way, we are very excited about seeing some of Norway, snow would be fab, but some nice bright days would be equally nice for photography so if I can't have snow can I have sun instead please? ;-)

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

You will probably have a bit of everything :)

UK
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

A bit of everything will be just lovely :-)

Atlanta
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

Hello!

I'm thinking of going to Lofoten for a few days. Have you had any luck with the snow yet:)? If yes, are the mountains covered? Is there any snow on the ground as well?

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
24,027 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

Take a look at the web cams linked in reply # 2.

UK
Level Contributor
420 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No snow yet? Is this normal??

So, what were the chances of it dumping the first of this years snow just an hour before our ferry arrived in Moskenes?? Totally perfect weather in every way for every part of our trip, we were so very lucky!!

I intend to write a full report/review of everything we did as it might be useful to others but may take a few days as I have a backpack of dirty washing and about 500 photos to go through first!

Just a quick thank you for all the advice in the planning of our trip.

Get answers to your questions about Lofoten Islands