We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lofoten in early March?

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Lofoten in early March?

Hi there I'm considering travelling to Lofoton for 4 days at the start of March- hoping to see the Northern Lights? Is this a busy time of year for accomodation in a rorbuer?

I understand the climate is relatively mild for somehwere 100 miles inside the Arctic Circle, but if there is snow, how easy is it to drive around?

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Thank you,

Lindsay

Harstad, Norway
Destination Expert
for Bergen, Norway
Level Contributor
29,115 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lofoten in early March?

Compared to Tromsø, Lofoten is not the hotspot for Northern Lights' hunters so I think it should be reasonably easy to find accomodation. In fact, winter is off season and not all accomodation is open for business at this time of year. Some of the more basic cottages may not be insulated well enough for winter use and will only be available from May till September or thereabout. You can search for accomodation here:

booking.lofoten.info/en/accommodation…

It is very likely that there will be snow in early March. Driving conditions will depend on and vary with the actual weather conditions.

yr.no/place/…statistics.html

Charmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lofoten in early March?

March is actually high season for some accommodation in Lofoten as this is the best time of year for cod fishing. Anywhere that is open at this time will be insulated and heated for winter use. If there is snow on the mountains this would be a fantastic time of year to visit with plenty of daylight to see the amazing scenery.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
5 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lofoten in early March?

Thank you both for your help. That is a great website for booking accommodation - which indeed seems to be in short supply at that time. I shall see what we can find!

Kind regards,

Lindsay

4. Re: Lofoten in early March?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 06, 2015