We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lofoten Islands July best base??

In cooperation with: Visit Norway
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Lofoten Islands July best base??

We intend being in the Lofoten Islands for a week in July this year.( pretty active seniors) I would love to stay in a rorbu, (self contained, no shared amenities) and would like to rent a car for a day or two of travelling. I have been trawling the forums and websites but still have some questions.

1. Is Svolvaer the best base? (especially for car rental, boat trips etc)

2. Are the roads treacherous (like winding parts of Italy south of Naples?) If so, is the bus service regular enough at that time of year to get around?

3. Is Anker Brygge a hotel with rooms in a main building or does it have rorbuer? it is a bit difficult to tell from photos on the site.

4.I have Henningsvaer, Kabelvag, Reine, A, as must see places: are there others I have missed ?

Thanks in advance,

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Lofoten Islands July best base??

Good grief...I looked at that timetable but there is no Reine listed as a stop (page 25 18-767). Is there an alternate spelling...there's a Steine..... I really appreciate your response but am wondering whether there is a complete list of stops in that timetable or is it me??? I know the codes and notes are in Norwegian and there was no translation for "f" but now I know what it says. Thanks!!!!!!!

So are you suggesting that if we have booked at Reine, then we bus it to Leknes pick up a car and drive back to Reine? It sounds do-able. If the bus stops at Reine then I guess an alternative would be to get off at Reine , stay the night and bus it in in the morning to collect the car.

Yes I am feeling the pressure to get this sorted asap. thanks Iverh

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Lofoten Islands July best base??

Hey, relax and calm down! We are talking about two different bus routes, first the 18-767 from Stamsund to Leknes, and then the 18-742 from Leknes to Å. The first does not go to Reine, to get from Stamsund to Reine you will have to take two buses. I hope everything will be clear and illuminated!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Lofoten Islands July best base??

I have taken a deep breath and looked at the map again. Yes I see what you mean.....have also looked at car rentals and accommodation. It now looks as though we will be best to rent a car in Svolvaer (alighting in Svolvaer) and then make our way around to whichever accommodation we decide on and find available (but will definitely book in the next week). Thanks so much for the help and websites. I am looking into Hamnoy as well as Reine.

Mentioned in this post
Hamnoy
Hamnoy
8 Reviews
Lofoten Islands, Norway
14. Re: Lofoten Islands July best base??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:33 am, January 20, 2012