We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Tours

3 posts
Save Topic
Glacier Tours

My sister and I are in our mid 30's and are very active. Which of the glaciers (Skaftafell or Sólheimajökli) and which glacier tour would people recommend while in iceland? We are planning on staying in Vik and then to one of the glaciers for a guided tour.

Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Tours

The glaciers are similar but the landscape in Skaftafell is more fantastic ....

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Tours

Sólheimajökull is close to Vík.

Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Tours

We went on a 3 hour glacier tour at Sólheimajökull. There is a 5-10 minute walk across gravel to get to the end of the glacier, and most of the interesting stuff was in the lower half of the glacier we covered. The second half going up, before we stopped for lunch, was flatter with less glacial features, and was more just like exercising in the hills. We didn't turn back when we reached a peak or anything, just that we had to start heading down because of the time. It was still a very good experience though.

If I was doing it over, I'd maybe maybe go on a 1.5 hour walk to get a flavour of the glacier, or a full day walk to really get into the mountains. I think we went with Icelandic Mountain Guides, but there are a few different companies offering similar tours.

We didn't go near the Skaftafell glacier, so can't comment on those walking tours, but if you visit Svartifoss then make sure you take the extra 10-20 minutes walk up to Sjónarsker, it's not much effort but you feel like you've achieved a lot when you get there. :)

4. Re: Glacier Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:15 pm, November 12, 2015