We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

Annapolis, MD
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

I am tryiing to decide between these 2 half day Glacier hikes at Skaftafell. Does anyone have an opinion about Glacier Guides vs Icelandic Mountain Guides in general or these particular hikes ( is one in a more interesting/attrative location than the other? does one have a reputation for using smaller groups or being more strenous). i believe IMG is an bigger/older company than Glacier Guides but that can be a good or a bad thing. We will be there in the middle of August. T/hank you.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

In middle of August the place will be packed with tourists, and both companies taking as big groups as possible.

Their walks are the same, but on different glacier tounges, that is the biggest difference.

B-)

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

Just got back from April '12 trip to Skaftafell. By chance hooked up with a well known local guide Einar Sigurdsson 15 minutes from Skaftafell of From Coast To Mountains Travel Service

Hofsnes - 785 Oraefi - Iceland

+354 8940894

www.oraefaferdir.is

Does only small tours. You work with him on what you want to do and your group fitness level (he manages to that level and will want an accurate assessment of that). He is known locally for leading Icelanders on their mountain endeavers (he has the record ascents for highest peak in Iceland for example) but we did 8 hour glacier ski tour (6 hours on snow and about 14km - don't know what would be covered in a walking tour) which was phenomenal. Part of the experience is the isolation in this place and a large tour would miss that (I'd suggest going on a hike up to the glaciers on your own as another option, just stay off them perhaps). Weather in this area is key determinate of what is possible and enjoyable and he has the flexibility to work with that. I suspect his pricing is only slightly ahead of a larger tour group if you have say 4 people. He does ice climbing, hard or easy mountain hikes, ski tours , mountain climbs... His main thing in summer is bird tours on salt flats to a nature preserve but these seem like larger tours. Glad we accidently found him and that was the one "organized" tour we paid (at a premium) on this trip and otherwise did it ourselves. Brought comfort factor to family trip to avoid issues in one of the remotest areas on the planet outside the two poles and well versed in local history since family goes way back there. You will need to book him well in advance though.

Thessaloniki
Level Contributor
25 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

We have returned from Iceland to the beginning of April.And we were so lucky to go on tours with Einar Sigurdson.Yes,he is just perfect.We did ice climbing and ice cave tour.He was more from a professional guide ,it was our friend also.I have done tours with bigger companies.They were very good, but the experience was not as good as with Einar.His tours are more personalised and his prices were cheaper, and he even gave as an extra discount on his own.Highly recommended!!!

Vatnajokull...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

Dear Traveler,

I would agree with all of the above, the place is packed with travelers so I would pre-book with whom ever you decide to go with. Einar in Hofsnes is a great guide and I would reccommend him for all his activity´s, a close friend and neighbour. He has the ability to offer small group sizes for his trips but he is however pretty busy this time of year with the Ingólfshöfði tours and I would contact him before so you do not leave your glacier walk up to chance. It is a fantastic area to enjoy the glaciers. As far as the two companies go I can not really comment since I am the owner of one of them but can say that as the trips get harder the guide to guest ratio gets smaller if you have that option and the number of guests per trip is not "as many as possible" as you might have guessed but based on a very serious safety to quality of service ratio , you will have a great time either way :o)

Einar Ísfeld

Glacier Guides

5. Re: Glacier Guides Glacier Explorer vs IMG Glacier Adventure

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 pm, November 17, 2015