We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue & Malaria

Which Matagalpa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Topic
Dengue & Malaria

My husband and I have some friend who have moved to Matagalpa and thinking of going to visit in December for a month, I have been told many horror stories about insect bites, dengue, malaria, problems with drinking water, eating food, since my husband had glandula fever and has a average immune system I am worried about the dangers, but aware all this stories come from people who never do anything because of "what may happen" what are the best preventions to dengue, malaria, food related deseases, amebas etc? Should i be realistic is it a dangerous place to visit? I really would appreciate help from experienced travellers to the region or Nicaragua itself.... many thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,991 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue & Malaria

What do your friends do?

ny,ny
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue & Malaria

I don't know how complete the surveys are out there of disease incidence in Nicaragua, so take what I say with a grain of salt it's only based on my personal experience and that of friends..

Dengue is definitely here. I personally know three people who got it. It's carried by day active mosquitoes (tiger mosquitos) which are quite easy to spot from their striped markings.

It's a severe disease but the vast majority of the time it is not life threatening - my friends experienced it as a severe flu and the main risks were dehydration ones.

You can protect yourself by using normal insect repellent consistently during the days.

I have not heard cases of Malaria where we are on the pacific coast, I think it may be more prevalent on the Atlantic coast.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever for more on Dengue.

T

Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue & Malaria

They are actual missionaries, by the way they are not the ones who have told me the horror stories but my friends back home!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue & Malaria

My brother has lived in Ocotal, for over ten years. If you drink the local water, you will get parasites. He says most of the natives there are sick from parasites (but what can they do). He has a cistern and drinks only bottled water with no ice.

He was in the Peace Corp, and they supplied prophylactics for them. As an EX-PAT, he does not take prophylactics, but uses 100% DEET (which I think is crazy).

DEET is an excellent mosquito repellent, but it is a fairly poor tick repellent. Fish will avoid even one drop of DEET in water, or on your fishing lure.

DEET melts plastics (your watch?) and lots of man-made material.

My thorough investigation of Insect Repellents is here:

www.woodsmall.com/insect-repellents.htm

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
290 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue & Malaria

My experience in Granada was a little different. We did use mosquito repellent everyday before we went out to be safe. We had absolutely zero issues with the food and water however. We ate out, ate food purchased in the market including fruits, and drank the water with no problems.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue & Malaria

I agree, update all your vaccines so they match those which your children have take the typhoid shot ($75) before leaving the states and have a wonderful time. Granada is a fabulous place to visit...what culture and history. Email Rudolfo Ortega for excellent guided tours. Don't sweat the ice cubes, use the bug spray, "Off Deep Woods", and remember to scream LOUD on the Mombacho Canopy tour, "I LOOOVVEE Nicaragua," and don't worry Jesus ( their awesome canopy guide) will save you and make you smile. We had a great time, July 2011.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
714 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue & Malaria

Off deep woods is not very effective for me anyway - its' 30% DEET

They bite the heck out of me if I use this product,

Reply to: Dengue & Malaria
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Matagalpa