We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailing in the Corns :)

florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Sailing in the Corns :)

Anyone think island sailing would be a popular "thing to do" in the Corns? I would offer day trips from the dock with snorkeling and lunch as well as romantic sunset dinners for two. Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance!

Edited: 9:52 pm, April 24, 2010
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
819 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailing in the Corns :)

Yes, I would think so - provided the boats come with a skipper. While I'm an avid sailor, around the Corn Islands I saw plenty of coral rock, barely awash and sometimes just submerged. Not my idea of a relaxed afternoon trip.......

We found there was always a lovely breeze around the islands - 8 -12 knots, just perfect for a sail.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailing in the Corns :)

I'm a sailor as well and agree with amphityron to a degree. I'm not convinced the demographic of the average visitor to Little Corn would be willing to shell out what it would require to run a sailing tour. They are mostly backpackers, some flash packers and then baby boomers and most of them are on a budget, which is why they chose Little Corn-cheap diving, cheap digs. Some splurge on nice meals and "upgraded" accommodations, but they are there to dive or relax while saving money during their travels. San Juan is the place to run sailboat cruises. They are charging $50/person (half day), based on a minimum of 10 people. Even if you charged $25/person minimum of 5, I don't think it'd fly.

The sailing conditions are great (except for Nov. and then Jan to MArch-too windy on some days). I agree about the reef, as well. Lastly, it'll be a real bear to get spare parts for the sailboat. One was just lost on the island almost a year ago to a hurricane, so weather is an issue-nowhere to hide. Secure mooring could pose an issue. Lastly, you'd need someone to stay on the boat 24hr so it won't get stripped. My two cents. If you do it, let me know. I'll be a customer!

Boone, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailing in the Corns :)

I looked into this a few years ago (had long discussions with my friends that live there).and they strongly talked me out of it. If your committed You may be better off on little corn than the big island due to theft issues, you'd have to hire a watchman or live on the boat due to theft issues, parts - non existent, navigating the bureaucracy - painful to say the least.

nuweiba, sinai
Level Contributor
82 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailing in the Corns :)

i was in puerto cabezas in september. while fishing with miskitos near krukira i saw few old fashion sailboats. i think they called 'em "belero". not sure about correct spelling. while back in puerto i started to ask around, if there is some english speaking belero owner. finally i found one. i asked about renting his belero with crew + food for a week long trip along the coast and to the cayos. he said it will cost $ 100.- /day. i can't believe it, but i'll give it a try next year when i go back to puerto. does anyone have any experience with sailing on belero?

thank you!

5. Re: Sailing in the Corns :)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, May 01, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island