We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 posts
Save Topic

I am scheduled to visit Little corn Island in December with my wife and wanted to know about crime on the island. I've read both that it is no worse than anywhere, while the State Dept. page says that crime and violence are getting worse. Is anybody who's been there recently able to comment on this.

Dolphin Dive
Scuba & Snorkeling
The Karma Shack
Lessons & Workshops, Yoga & Pilates, Health/Fitness Clubs & Gyms, Spas
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety

I was there in June with my wife and experienced no problems at all. We even traveled down some roads at night and felt completely safe. I actually heard of more problems happening in Granada and Managua than Little Corn. I felt less safe in Big Corn, although we had no problems to speak of. Just creaped me out a bit. I definitely felt better on Little Corn. Don't let these stories on the internet keep you from going. It's as safe as anywhere else and you should definitely go visit Little Corn- it's great.

2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety

Thanks for your reply. Where did you stay and is there any must do's on the island?

Thanks again

1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: safety

i was just in little corn in november and for the first time felt unsafe. this was my second visit. i had planned on staying at hotel los delfines but after one night was very uncomfortable. the hotel had several rooms occupied with groups of men some carrying guns. saying this once i moved to the north end of the island i felt fine. after talking to some locals telling me recent events had made delfines the "drug" center of the island. little corn is beautiful just be careful where you go.

Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: safety

The State Dept websites usually err on the side of caution concerning travel advice for understandable reasons.

Nicaragua is statistically the safest country in Central America, but as anywhere, keep your wits about you.

Some very basic safety tips:

*Ask at the hotel and from taxi drivers, local bar owners etc where are unsafe areas.

*Don't walk on isolated beaches at night.

*Don't leave valuables in your car- even when locked.

*Don't break local laws.

Your chances of bad things happening to you if you followed just those few rules are very slim.

You have a far better chance of having a great time on a beautiful Caribbean island.

I like the Casa Iguana, here's a list with reviews:

Norfolk Virginia
Level Contributor
80 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety

The State Department's warnings gave me a little angst too, I was met with nothing but smiles by everyone on LCI, yes there is a seedy drug side but even the dopers were OK with a smile and a polite no thank you. I have run across much pushier dope dealers in the trendiest sections of Barbados. I was even more confused when 6 folks from the Embassy in Managua made Casa Iguana there home base for a week of diving. Maybe they don't read there own website.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
826 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety

just got back from LCI - never saw a deal or a dealer, and living in the core of TO, I'm attuned to both.

LCI was safe enough to walk home from dinner through the woods after sunset.

7. Re: safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 am, October 19, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island