We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly fishing on Little Corn

Alaska
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Fly fishing on Little Corn

Has anyone been there for flyfishing? How is the baby tarpon fishing? What about the permit and bonefish?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly fishing on Little Corn

I haven't been there, but I'm going in June. I did hear from some people that the fishing for bonefish is very good, but they run small 1-5 lbs. Permit are small, but present as are the tarpon. I was told that there aren't really flats to fish, but most of the fishing can be done right from the beaches. The person I spoke with said that a 6 or 7 wt rod would do the job, but I'll be bringing a 9 weight because that's all I've got. He also suggested bringing a spinning rod since some of the fishing areas are deeper (over 3 feet). For flies he suggested Crazy Charlies and Clousers. Hope that helps.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly fishing on Little Corn

I saw your post and was wondering how was the fishing trip to the Corn Islands? My wife and I are going there the end of March '09. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Brian

kayandhoppy@sopris.net

Florida
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly fishing on Little Corn

The fishing was fantastic. We caught lots of bonefish on the beach in front of Casa Iguana. We had better luck on small jigs than flies, but there were plenty of bones. They weren't spooky like I expected either. We even jumped several mid-sized tarpon (70lbs.) or so. The diving and snorkeling on little corn is just as good as the fishing. I didn't catch any permit, but I did see some small ones diving. I mostly caught bonefish, lookdowns, tarpon, a couple of bar jacks and saw a good sized snook. Bring both spinning and fly though because the wind can make fly fishing difficult.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly fishing on Little Corn

You were there in June, correct? I don't know if season does make a difference. We are contemplating a visit in January, and my husband want to fly fish. Did you stay at Casa Iguana? If so, could you just basically walk right outside the door and wade to fish? Are there other places to stay you would recommend that are better locations for a fisherman? Did you ever go out with a guide or in a boat for fishing? And, is this necessary? Would you go back to this as a fly-fishing destination? Is there anyone there you would recommend contacting for more information about fishing? If the fish weren't around, would it have been a bust because there would have been nothing else to do? Thanks much.

canada
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly fishing on Little Corn

I have fly fished Little Island for over 10 years. The bone fishing is great from the beach. Fishing from a boat is easier when there is strong wind as you can position the boat to your casting advantage. The bones here are not spooky. They do not hang out in the flats because they are to deep. Most schools of fish are very close to the shore. Tarpon do not come as close into shore as they used to, as many of the bait fish have been fished out. I do some guiding from my boat when I am on the island usually Jan-April. My boats name is the Misdarsteve and I stay near Farm Peace and Love on the North side of the island.

If anyone wants to be guided just fire me an emial

mattejennings@hotmail.com

6. Re: Fly fishing on Little Corn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, October 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Little Corn Island