We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Which Big Corn Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

We are planning a trip to big corn island for this coming Jan/Feb 2012.

Our travel agent has of course never sent anyone to the corn islands, and is not of much help at this point. We are coming from Wisconsin.

• Does anyone know of a travel agent that can help us plan our trip?

• Or is it safe/okay to book our flight/hotel ourselves?

• Does anyone have any advice in doing so?

Also if anyone has any comments on Casa Canada? If we call there, would they help us plan so that everything goes smoothly?

Any advice would be extremely helpful.

Thank you!

Serena

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,944 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Start by putting "Corn Island" in the search box above

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

No need for travel agent - in 6 trips to Central America I've never used a travel agent. Just book the flight and hotel yourself! before committing yourself to Casa Canada you should consider spending time on Little Corn - IMHO much nicer than Big Corn

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Thank you for the post. My concern was that my travel agent seemed scared of sending us there for some reason? Possibly because she doesn't know of anyone that has traveled there??

The reason why we were comfortable with Casa Canada was because we have really only done all-inclusive type vacations, but are a bit more adventurous than most, so we thought that was safe and then we thought we would venture to LC for a day or so. We (well mainly I) am more concerned about the quality of the other places to stay? Is there more to do on LC? Or is it okay to go to for a day or two and spend the majority of the time on BC? What did you do?

I am so excited to go! it looks fabulous!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Well Corn Island including Casa Canada is pretty removed form anything resembling an "all-inclusive type vacation".

We stayed across the street from Casa Canada and it looked nice but our interactions with their staff at their restaurant and when inquiring about staying there were less than satisfactory.

Regarding Big Corn vs Little Corn - you should budget for at least one night on Little Corn. It's difficult to do a day trip as you only get a couple of hours before the afternoon panga leaves back for Big Corn.

In two trips to the Corn Islands I prefer Little Corn over Big Corn although it might not be for everybody.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

I do realize it will be far from All-Inclusive. And we like that, but like i said we want SOME comfort. What were the negative comments about Casa Canada?

Where do you recommend to stay on LC?

Why did you like LC more?

Thanks for your input. We will def. plan an overnite stay on LC.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Again, we didn't stay at Casa Canada - we spend 5 nights across the street at Sunrise Hotel. Casa Canada looked nice so we thought about treating ourselves for two nights even though it was out of our price range. The first time I went there the office was closed and when I asked someone in the restaurant when someone would be there to inquire about staying for a night they just said "I don't know" and walked away. That night we went there for dinner - when we arrived at about 6pm there were several employees sitting on the stairs that lead into the restaurant. just as we started to walk inside someone turned off the lights almost causing my wife to trip - seeing that we clearly were not welcome we turned around and left.

Big Corn didn't seem to have much to do overall. The side of the island where Casa Canada is located is quite windy and the waves are too rough for swimming - there is a nice swimming beach on the other side at Picnic Center however the beach-side restaurant there plays really LOUD music (they play the same CD over and over).

I like Little Corn because it's more rustic - no roads, no cars - just lots of unspoiled tropical beaches, friendly people, and delicious food.. We stayed at Carlitos for $30/night had a small cabin just 10' feet from the water. Only has electricity at night and cold water showers. Just up the beach is Little Corn Beach Bungalow which is probably has the nicest accommodation on the island with hot water showers but it's more pricey.

Let me know if you have more questions

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

We checked out LCBB and it looks really neat too! A lot different than Casa Canada. Both look nice in their own way. We are pretty torn at this point as far as which island to spend the majority of our time on....!

Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say there is not much to do on Big Corn? I am wondering because it seems like there would be more to do on that island?

Are there more bars/restaurants to go to on Little Corn than Big Corn? I think LC looks a lot more serene but we still would like the opportunity to go to some neat island bars/restaurants.

Thank you for the inputs.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Aside from the bars and restaurants at the hotels and Fisherman's Cave at the harbor there are not a lot of independent restaurants on Big Corn. I've visited there twice and each time it seemed like there are not a lot of tourists on the island - many hotels were deserted. maybe it was a slow time of year (November/December).

It seems liked Little Corn had a lot more going on with more travelers, restaurants and places to hang out and socialize as well as pristine beaches

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

That is interesting. I think we may end up splitting our time on the islands.... what draws me more to BC is that I think i like the fact that there aren't as many travelers there - more locals. Whom I have heard are friendly?

Did you spend any time at LC beach bungalow or did you just hear about it?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,414 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corn Island...Do I need a travel agent? Casa Canada

Splitting time between the islands is a good idea. How much time total were you planning on?

We didn't stay at LC Beach Bungalow but it was just up the beach from where we were at Carlitos - we did stop there a few times for a beer and the grounds looked very nice

Edited: 11:30 pm, August 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Big Corn Island