We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do on Corn Island

Which Big Corn Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
seattle, wa
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do on Corn Island

We're a vegetarian family considering a visit to Corn Island, Nicaragua. We don't fish, eat meat or like to pet chained-up monkeys. We do like swimming and would like to try snorkeling. Besides the coral reefs, is there much for a 14-year old girl and an 8-year old girl to do? Is there a town with any distractions, or is this a place best visited when you're still in college? My wife does not like travel surprises, so if the room isn't neat and clean and the bathroom spotless, we'll end up leaving.

We're considering staying at the Casa Canada Hotel, or possibly at the Arena Hotel, if they've built their pool by now.

Whatever light you can shed on this we would very much appreciate. Sincerely, Marty Lyons, Seattle, WA.

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do on Corn Island

Well, it's a group of islands off the coast of the Carribean.

It's got great snorkeling, beautiful beaches.

But, it's got animals running around, the electricity might cut off and obviously most of the food is based around fish.

Main 'activity' is lying in a hammock!

Why would they need a pool with beautiful beaches already there?

Sounds like you'd be happier at somewhere like Pelican n Eyes.

…typepad.com/san_juan_del_sur/…index.html

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do on Corn Island

The other option you could look at is Barcelo Montelimar.

lots of swimming pools and activities.

How long you here for?

Why not combine the beach with Ometepe, Granada etc?

seattle, wa
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do on Corn Island

We are going to Leon, probably Granada, Pacific coastline, etc. We're just wondering if the Altlantic side might be a big disappointment rather than the paradise some people describe.

Alternately, are there any recreational attractions in Bluefield, or any other points along the east coast?

Sincerely, Marty Lyons

Managua
Level Contributor
641 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do on Corn Island

Well as Voltaire said "Paradise is where I am."

In other words, depends what you're looking for!

I love it, but if you want everything 'just so', it might not be for you.

If you value blue skies, blue water, golden sand, coral reefs and great people it's wonderful.

Bluefields I wouldn't recommend for a young family.

If you're going to Granada, Leon- IMO- is much of the same. Except, Granada has nicer buildings, smarter hotels and more activities.

Ometepe I think is a must see, but again if you want resort style accommodation and paved roads it's going to be a 'travel surprise.'

I think you have to accept that whilst there is sufficient luxury accommodation here, this is a poor country at a relatively early stage in its tourism industry development, it's not Costa Rica, thankfully!

You're here for the natural beauty, the culture and the people.

Have a look at this and see what places appeal to you:

http://www.thenicaraguablog.com

On the Pacific Coast, Pelican Eyes and Montelimar are 'spotless.'

Outside of that there are other lovely beaches on that coast with perfectly acceptable clean accommodation.

5. Re: What to do on Corn Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:22 am, September 04, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Big Corn Island