We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nicaragua safety

Which Diriamba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Nicaragua safety

How safe is travel in Nicaragua ?

23 replies to this topic
Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nicaragua safety

Greetings wanderlust012:

Your question is a bit vague (how you plan to travel, where you will be going, etc.) but in general travel in Nicaragua is safe.

If you do manage to work up the gumption to come and visit, I predict you will have a good to a great time.

You may consider a "soft landing" service where a friendly face picks you up at the airport and brings you to a lovely b&b located on a farm near the capital city but with a tranquil setting. You can get your feet wet by traveling to the nearby Masaya Volcano and the Artisan's Market. Once you do a day trip or two you will understand better how relaxed and safe it is to travel in Nicaragua and move on to Granada, Ometepe, San Juan del Sur, etc.

Cheers,

Mike @ Farmstay El Portón Verde

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nicaragua safety

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. We are two families traveling with our young adult children for Christmas holidays. All four senior adults are in their early to mid-50s and are experienced travelers. I have actually worked overseas in Malawi, and India but have no travel experience in Central America.

What are your thoughts regarding renting a car and driving in Nicaragua? I have driven in many parts of the world without incident but have read that driving in Nicaragua can be a challenge.

Appreciate your time.

Cheers, Joan

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nicaragua safety

Lots of people rent cars. Make sure you get one that can travel where you want -- that is, some places may be on roads that aren't paved and you may need something with ground clearance, etc. Also, driving at night may in some areas not be a great idea.

Granada, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nicaragua safety

"Why are you going to Nicaragua? You must be careful. I have heard that the guerrilla is at the mountains and the Sandinistas on the streets, they kidnap foreigners, the crime and the delinquency is increasing and the poverty you can see it in each corner..."

Surely you have heard to this when you said that you are coming to Nicaragua and perhaps there is a small voice saying, "Is this truth? Is it worth it taking this risk? Why I shouldn´t go to a safe place?"

Well from all of the previous comments there is only one certain thing: there is much poverty, According to the world-wide statistics locates Nicaragua between the poorest countries of America along with Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, Ecuador, etc.

But the rest of the comments are false or no longer they apply to the present situation of this beautiful country of lakes and volcanoes. The guerrilla or the armed front that was created in the decade of 60´s to overthrow the Somocista dictatorship that was in the power of the country from 30´s to the 70' s no longer exists, now is a left handed political group that within certain parameters tries to obey the laws of Nicaragua, the guerrilla that later was created in the 80´s (the contras supported by the government of Ronald Reagan) to overthrow the sandinistas no longer exist now both groups either work shoulder to shoulder to be able to see the blooming of Nicaragua, Nicaragua has no longer armed confrontation, the sonorous explosions that before were listened in the streets now are replaced by the explosions of fireworks to celebrate the Catholic activities that from time to time they will wake up to you very early in the morning.

As far as the crime, Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in Central America. While the statistics of crimes in Latin America the statistics are a little bit high, Nicaragua is seconds in the world-wide ranking behind Southern Africa. Many of the neighboring countries of Nicaragua in Central America are with an index of very high crime, Nicaragua reports only 14 crimes for each 100,000 inhabitants. Countries like El Salvador with 71 in 100,000, Honduras with 67 in 100,000, Guatemala with 52 in 100,000, Panama with 24 in 100,000, Belize with 29 in 100.000, Only Costa Rica is a bit lower than Nicaragua 13 crimes for each 100,000 inhabitants.

This and other reasons as the great biodiversity of plants and animals, the great natural beauties like Masaya volcano one of most active craters of Central America, the biggest forest , Bosawas which is the second greater forest in Western Hemisphere, The Reserve of the Biosphere San Juan River, in the border with Costa Rica. This reserve protects the greatest wetlands of the region, as well as the greater rainy forests of the south of Central America. Isla Ometepe the biggest island of the world inside a fresh water eye, the Coco River. (750 km), it is the longest river of Central America, that in one of its sections serves as border between Honduras and Nicaragua and ends at the Caribbean coast, 40% of the territory is a protect land, in addition to all these beauties, Nicaragua have unique species like the bull shark the only fresh water shark in the world, all of this attractions made of Nicaragua one of the safest and complete destinations in Central American isthmus, without telling you that it is the cheapest country in Centralamerica where the beer costs less than a dollar.

So give a chance to Nicaragua.

Byron

www.byronortega.wix.com/tour-leader

5. Re: Nicaragua safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:05 am, February 23, 2013

6. Re: Nicaragua safety

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:22 am, February 28, 2013

7. Re: Nicaragua safety

Removed on: 8:22 am, February 28, 2013
Edited: 8:22 am, February 28, 2013

Managua, Nicaragua
Level Contributor
911 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nicaragua safety

Hey made s: I don't like giving you any extra attention but here goes anyway...

I don't go to Lombok forums and post junk there so why if you are there do you only post about Nicaragua?

(Readers: This poster has eight posts, all trying to scare people about Nicaragua, none about his/her supposed area in Indonesia.)

So I went to the Canadian advisory website that you mention and you know what it says? "There is no nationwide advisory in effect for Nicaragua."

There is absolutely nothing unusual in the rest of the warnings, as of course the governments who have these sort of advisories always make it the worse case scenario. There is nothing in there warning about riots. What you are saying is misinformation and it appears you have some agenda.

The same advice found there could be given for any number of other countries and cities, including the USA. You probably don't go around Detroit, Houston, Kansas City, or many other cities without chancing street and/or violent crimes either. Check it out here if you want: travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

Atlanta
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nicaragua safety

Here's a link to the US Department of State's Nicaragua page, which includes a link to all travel advisories for Nicaragua over the past two years as well as an overview of travel to the country and crime risk (quote: "While less than in neighboring countries, violent crime in Managua exists and petty street crimes are common.":

…state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_985.html

Clearly the US does not consider Nicaragua to be an unusually dangerous travel destination and in no way even remotely suggests that its citizens not travel there. I'd say the opposite is true, in fact (quote: "Nicaragua presents many opportunities for tourists.").

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
12,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nicaragua safety

My husband and I have vacationed in Nicaragua twice. I would eagerly go again. I have felt safe everyplace. The only place we were ever bothered by people aggressively hawking wares was sitting at waterside restaurants in SJDS. Sit one row way from the railing and it is much better!

Overall I loved everyplace I have been in Nicaragua. Ometepe, Granada, Little Corn Islands, Maderas Beach. All lovely!

Reply to: Nicaragua safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Diriamba