We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing in the Bentota River.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing in the Bentota River.

Going to stay at Club Bentota at the beginning of February, and I wonder if anybody has experience of fishing in the river there. Is it productive, what sort of lures and or bait etc.?

Mentioned in this post
Club Bentota
Club Bentota
872 Reviews
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
591 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing in the Bentota River.

My god! Is there NO question you can ask on here which doesn't elicit a spam email in your message box?

I started this thread last evening at 10.00 pm and this morning I have a message allegedly from a Julia White whose email started with ral_..... telling me about a wonderful driver and a string of web sites that they got him from... It's the same email I have had several times before - If they want to be taken even half seriously, they should get a phone number that doesn't start with +94 (Sri Lanka) :)

Yes, I have reported this to TA as Spam, and I've 'blocked sender' AGAIN!

Mentioned in this post
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing in the Bentota River.

Sorry. Haven't fished at the Bentota River. But will ask about it from someone who has.

If it gets annoying, you can always spam back. Have an intriguing set of questions set up and copy paste it to email replies. Make sure the fellow goes ahead planning quoting and maybe even making reservations on your behalf.

I of course have set of false personal info that I can just copy paste (minimal effort) to these email replies. If the objective is to confuse, irritate and waste the spammer's time, it's done easily enough.

The driver/agents method of spamming (repetitive emails/bad preparation) should give an idea of his capabilities and understanding.

Edited: 4:38 am, November 27, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Bentota River
Bentota River
241 Reviews
Bentota, Sri Lanka
London, United...
Level Contributor
809 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing in the Bentota River.

Hi there,

I have seen some local fisherman fishing there but haven't seen that much tourist fishing at Bentota river rather than most tourist enjoying boat trip, you better speak to beach boys or local guide to help you on this.

Regards

Mentioned in this post
Bentota River
Bentota River
241 Reviews
Bentota, Sri Lanka
somerset uk
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing in the Bentota River.

There is a post dated 10 December 2012 with some info on this. ( I don't know how to provide a link!)

Richard

Gravesend, Kent
Level Contributor
32 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing in the Bentota River.

Just returned from Club Bentota and my husband fished in the river most days - either from the gardens to the right of Reception or more often from the jetty at the Watersport Centre. He used prawns as bait (they will sell them to you at the Seafood Restaurant) and had some good fish plus one enormous crab! There are also organised fishing trips by boat both on the river and the ocean I believe.

Mentioned in this post
Club Bentota
Club Bentota
872 Reviews
Aluthgama, Sri Lanka
6. Re: Fishing in the Bentota River.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 am, February 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Aluthgama